WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Persistant Storage of TCE's  (Read 2093 times)

Offline angryjack

Persistant Storage of TCE's
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
Hello together,

i try to figure out how to store installed TCE's persistant but i can't get it managed and i need your help  ::)

I have a thin client with CF- card which has only 32 Meg. With the tool "Universal USB Installer" from pendrivelinux i extracted TCL (standard) to the CF which is sda1. It boots, i can setup network and store the network settings persistant, after reboot network is working.

If i download a TCE extension with setting "OnBoot" it downloads the TCE but after reboot TCL stays on the command prompt and does not load X. I recognized that the tce directory with the subdirectories "ondemand" and "optional" are created but empty, "onboot.lst" and "mydata.tgz" in the TCE folder do have zero length. In the root of the CF i also have a "mydata.tgz" which must contain the settings as if i delete the complete TCE folder and restart TCL the system does boot into X and network settings are still set correctely.

What do i make wrong ? I do not want to use an additional storage medium, everything should be stored on the CF card. I want to convert the thin client in a wifi-radio which should only play one fixed radio station. Therefore i should need OSS (has dependencies), Atheros wifi driver and (maybe) "mplayer nodeps".

angryjack
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:46:34 PM by angryjack »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Persistant Storage of TCE's
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:54:50 PM »
Hi

how much RAM you have? Do you have a tce directory in the root of the cf card? What is the total size of extensions you want to store persistent?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline angryjack

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:21:04 PM »
Hi,

currently 256MB Ram but i will test if it makes any difference with 512MB. I did not manually create the TCE subdirectory, it was automatically created from TCL incl. subdirectories and the 2 zero length files. Actually i do not exactely know how much space the TCE's will require, i hope that 32Megs are sufficient. I would suggest the main space will be occupied by OSS with it's dependencies but i can temporally install it and sound works.

EDIT: Same result with 512MB as with 256MB Ram. I've downloaded and run OSS + mplayer temporally and created a shell script running the MP3 stream, so far it works  :) Now i have to get it managed to store the installed configuration persistant...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:22:07 AM by angryjack »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
Read core concept

http://tinycorelinux.net/concepts.html

to be familiar how TC works. Read also FAQ

http://tinycorelinux.net/faq.html

specially USB installation part. Do not use generic USB installers, they doesn't fit to TC. Shortly, create a /tce directory in the root of CF card. Note, 32M may be too small for your downloads.
Béla

Offline angryjack

Re: Persistant Storage of TCE's >> Solved ! <<
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 01:33:52 AM »
Hi again,

found in the concept that a tool called "core2usb" is available for Windows users, so i took that one and now it works.

Core2Usb did directely create the TCE directory structure on my CF. I've then downloaded the additional TCE's, added them to the "onboot.lst" and added "tce=sda1" to the syslinux.cfg. At least i replaced the "startx" entry in ".profile" with "sh /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/stream.sh" which directely runs the MP3 stream...perfect !  ;D

Wifi driver is already copied to the CF but not installed and i have enough space left there. I will try that at the weekend to install the wifi card.

So far thank you very much for your help !

Angryjack

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:51:43 AM »
tce=... is not needed, TC finds automatically /tce directory. You need it only if you have multiple /tce directories and want to use a different then the first one found by the system or have a different name.
Béla