WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Modesetting driver  (Read 2557 times)

Offline n3ond4x

Modesetting driver
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
Hello all,

I've been trying to get a device's GPU to work as properly as it does in stock Ubuntu 12.04.2 on the new TC5.x. Now before you say Tiny Core 5 is in alpha and you should go back to 4 please know that the reason I'm doing this is is because the kernel for 4 is far too outdated for the hardware and I want to be prepared for the next TC installation.

I've got the gma3600 option enabled for the kernel, and the fbdev setup to load in xorg.conf and this detects the LCD and sets the native resolution. Also I have the device kernel module loading at boot as well (gma500_gfx). Unfortunately I'm getting about half the fps in glxgears as I do in that stock ubuntu install and the screen is very laggy. I looked at ubuntu closer and it looks like it's using "modesetting" instead of "fbdev" for Xorg. I've attempted this driver in TC in Xorg.conf and it can't be found. I've searched the provides.db for TC4 and TC5 and can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Modesetting driver
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
It hasn't been built, as it didn't exist back then IIRC. You can try to build it for Xorg-7.6, but I'm not sure if it requires a newer X server.

(insert regular disclaimer about using glxgears as a benchmark when you have no possible gpu accel, and the other standard disclaimer about how you bought PowerVR ;))
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline n3ond4x

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »
Thanks Curaga.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me that may get TC to a comparable level as Ubuntu as far as graphics support? I'm not completely positive that it's the modesetting driver. But I'll see if I can get it built.

Trust me I don't like this hardware one bit, but I can't seem to find any decent Thin Client hardware that's not using an Intel with PowerVR.

Offline n3ond4x

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
Also I'm noticing that the driver is showing up for:

drm_kms_helper, drm, and i2c_algo_bit

but not for "video", in fact, there is no video at all. There is under ubuntu.

Is this a big tell?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:51 PM »
The differing module list is no issue, likely we have that built in, so it doesn't show as a module.

The non-powervr atoms aren't for sale anymore? Or the embedded series APUs from AMD?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline frimical

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 02:01:09 AM »
Hello,
Actually bying a PowerVR-atom was for me a "forced" and only choice, because that was the only laptop with Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) on it.
Linux for Linux, I thought that I can bypass Ubuntu and use my favorite TC instead. Unfortunately it wasn't the case. TC lacks this 'feature' that this thread is about.
I don't like to be any distro's slave, I tried then Slax, and others. Everything worked perfectly: exact resolution, brightness etc... But why not my favorite one? I wish I can help.
I thought that I have to wait for the next release of TC with a newer kernel that solved many issues meanwhile, and I was glad to know that it's getting nearer to show it's head.
I'm afraid that my problem, the same one as for many here, won't be solved soon. I hope I'm wrong.
Any constructive suggestion?
Regards