WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: xrandr problem. window manager display clipped to a small area.  (Read 3395 times)

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
Hi. I use a laptop with a 1366x768 display. I tried connecting it to an external display capable of 1680x1024 or maybe more…

After the PC is booted, I am greeted by a cloned display, with the resolution 1024x768 on each screen. So I use:
Code: [Select]
xrandr --output LVDS --preferred --output VGA-0 --preferred --above LVDS
Each screen was then setup to its preferred resolution, with the big screen correctly placed above the laptop’s one. I could check this by freely moving the mouse cursor up and down from one screen to the other. Besides, the mouse cursor always retains the right proportions, and it is rightfully stopped at each screen border, except the part where both screens “touch” one-another.

However, the desktop is displayed only in a clipped area in the top-left corner, with the size 1024x768; everything else is black. The wbar is displayed at the bottom of the clip area at first, but if I right-click it, it updates its position to the correct one, somewhere I can not see it anymore. I can move windows outside of the clip area, and as far as I can tell, they keep working ok wherever I put them, but outside of the top-left area, I cannot see them anymore. I always see the mouse cursor though.

This is with XOrg of course. I tried with Fluxbox, and with Flwm-topside.
Any idea what is wrong?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: xrandr problem. window manager display clipped to a small area.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
You need a multi-screen-aware WM to use a setup like that. FLWM certainly knows nothing of those setups.

Also check that your Virtual line in xorg.conf is properly configured.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline theYinYeti

• YetI web site
Re: xrandr problem. window manager display clipped to a small area.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »
According to this:
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/use-xrandr-to-set-a-screen-resolution/
Fluxbox is aware of configuration done through xrandr. And indeed, it does seem that the change in desktop geometry is taken into accound by Fluxbox. The display is just clipped :-(