WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox 17.0.5 ESR [Request cancelled]  (Read 10475 times)

Offline meo

Firefox 17.0.5 ESR [Request cancelled]
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:04:05 AM »
Hi!

I would appreciate very much if someone could make an update of Firefox ESR. Firefox 17.0.5 is now the latest in the extended support release. Please!

Kind regards,
meo
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:06:10 AM by meo »
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline LinuxUser01

Re: Firefox 17.0.5 ESR
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:47:42 PM »
meo,

Maybe we should learn how to update it ourselves then upload it to the server, instead of waiting for them. What do you think? It couldn't be that hard, plus we would be helping in a way.....

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
I am involved in some other stuff at this time, Firefox's are on the back burner at the moment.  Thanks for understanding.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »
I might offer to help but firstly ESR causes me a concern. I am not a great coder but not having much luck with my printer PPD so might as well shift focus to have a mental holiday.

meo and others are you aware of this?

Who is it for?

Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organizations such as universities and other schools, county or city governments and businesses.

Who is it not for?

Individual users who always want the latest features, performance enhancements and technologies in their browser without waiting for them to become available in ESR several development cycles later.

I could update firefox v 19 to v 20 which is the latest? (when I ask for permission, not sure if that is correct direction until I see your reply)

2) Last time I used firefox on a scattermode distro, you can unpack it into your home folder and do your own updates.

Does that excite you at all?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:56:47 PM by aus9 »

Offline LinuxUser01

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »
Yes, i'm aware that ESR is different then the standard Firefox. I'm actually all for Firefox version 20.0 which i have posted about recently. I'm not sure what "scattermode distro" is, but it would be nice to learn how to update this Firefox from version 19.0 to 20.0 on my own. Thanks

- This thread is the one i have been updating regarding the standard Firefox
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,2536.30.html

aus9

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
ok then sorry if I am telling you how to suck eggs, send a pm to Jason W asking for permission to update firefox (v 19)
I am replying here on the ESR thread so I don't despoil the other thread.

Assuming Jason reads this reply, I have already sent a pm, which he can ignore if he wishes.

Offline LinuxUser01

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »
No, i meant it would be nice if someone here could possibly teach me how to update Firefox, so i can do it next time on my own. Besides, i don't even like eggs and not to mention that the yellow in the middle is not even good for you. Sound good?

aus9

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
well I will have a go at building the ESR as meo has yet to reply.

Then show my simple build script and you just adapt it to do v 20 but I can't promise to get it out fast.

I may be wrong, but maybe meo actually wants ESR. Others may also want to reply?

aus9

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 05:52:54 AM »
Just as well I think you are not egging me on. Let me see if you like using a shell? (lxterminal)

ok here we go

1) I am a simple coder but as Jason W is not, we can assume his tce.installed script is correct and his desktop entry and most of his depends
b) I found one extra dep but I am using 4.7.6 and he may have tested on some earlier edition
c) I have dbus loading and running on my full system but a test on flwm_topside suggests we don't need to mention it in the info file.

2) First I run my build script with root powers, and try to obey the wki. This one is easier tho as we don't actually compile, just re-arrange and add  only minor stuff.

script removed, it had a bad permission in it  see later posts

The last line is to run submitqc4 and will bork unless you have created an info file and depending on package a dep. If there are dev and doc and libs then they have their own info files etc so here is mine......but not submitted see below
quote box destroys the TAB settings
Code: [Select]
Title:          firefox17.tcz
Description:    Firefox web browser
Version:        17.0.5.ESR
Author:         The Mozilla Community
Original-site:  http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/17.0.5esr/linux-i686/en-GB/
Copying-policy: Mozilla Public License 2.0
Size: 24M
Extension_by:   aus9
Tags: Web browser mozilla firefox esr
Comments:       This is the extended service release build of Firefox
License conditions see web link 
about:license#mpl

Change-log:     2013/02/28 First version 17.0.3 (Jason W)
Current: 2013/04/10 updated to 17.0.5 (aus9)

and the dep file
libasound.tcz
curl.tcz
libnotify.tcz
libxcb.tcz
hicolor-icon-theme.tcz

The only dep I added was hicolor.....and who ever becomes the downstream maintainer is expected to boot up into (I suggest) flwm_topside or basic TC and then run the executable in a terminal until all dependencies are discovered.

Being lazy, I have made no effort to mod Jason's tce.installed script.....so I cheated and used the existing one.

Before we get too carried away
---I do NOT have permission to upgrade
nor do I want to now.

What I hope is maybe if you like my build you adapt it to see if you can build the firefox v 20 and maybe Meo or someone who actually uses ESR offers Jason they will take over if he agrees.

ok?

If you like code, you may wish to adapt Jason's scmbuild script which is here for testing tcz dependencies while mine does no do any test.

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/scm/src/buildscm

obligatory screenshot

There are plenty of people here to help you .....the more who share the load the better eh? any how good luck
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:22:27 PM by aus9 »

Offline meo

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
Hi guys!

Sorry that I've missed to comment on this thread.  ;) I can blame sickness in the family that has been quite alarming. I use the esr mainly because of the "illusion" that it might be safer than the latest. I've been thinking about it and a script to update to the new versions as they come would be good if it's possible. That  would perhaps be to prefer not to burden Jason with it. I guess he has quite a lot to do anyway. I am using the latest cut of TC and will check out the script mentioned by aus9 but have a hard time to focus as a very dear friend of mine just passed away and the funeral is on Friday. Thanks to all for your interest! I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,
meo
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:17:22 AM by meo »
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline meo

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
Hi again!

Tried the script several times but with no success. Too much buzzing around in my head to think right now. Would love to be able to update the firefox i use myself but it'll have to wait a while till I get thinks straightened out and can concentrate.

Regards,
meo

Offline LinuxUser01

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
So how do you run this script and what are you obeying on wki? What is the wki? You mean Wiki? What page on the Wiki? I have never done this before, so you'd have to go step by step on this one for me. Maybe put in some commands or did i get this whole thing wrong already and it is even simpler than i expected?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:07:04 PM by LinuxUser01 »

aus9

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
meo

sorry to hear about that, my dad is 87 and is close to heaven so I can almost guess what you are going through a little.

LinuxUser01

Lets start with the wiki
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_extensions

It has a cousin
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:iconmenuinfo

Maybe you can save those links as bookmarks

2) We are not compiling so most of the wiki is irrelevant to us. You dowload the source, unpack it, move it to appropriate folders and some ownership and permissions ---- as per wiki----for the shared objects  (= *.so files) 
--create a desktop entry as most people like that kind of thing

3) How do you run it?
download the script and save it ....lets keep the name build.sh

make it executable
chmod +x build.sh
(and run it)
sudo sh build.sh

Be aware it will download a big file, 24 megs and the last line will bork or crash as you may not have put the info file and the dep file under /tmp

4) As its an existing package......and we know its written by Jason W.....one of the gurus......we can trust his original build was good so open apps and look at the file structure

you will notice he has the desktop entry and the tce.installed script which is EXTRA to the firefox unpack......got it?
so I cheat

I download the old package and load it, I then navigate to /tmp/tcloop/firefox17/usr/local/tce.installed

and save the text file called firefox17........I paste that into the build script but surround it with a small bit of junk

echo '   (pasted line) '   > $T   ------this creates the file, all other lines obey the formula
echo '   (pasted line) '   >> $T

I do the same thing for his desktop entry, but give it a new variable name $D

I made those names up, but define them before I have the script action them, see the top of the script

Now the wiki also says you need to do things to get that tce.installed script correct so you will see I add
sudo chown -R root:staff $F/usr/local/tce.installed
sudo chmod -R 775 $F/usr/local/tce.installed

and I have mentioned so files as per wiki

good luck

PS, you will need to download all tczs I mention at the top of the script before running the script as I make no attempt to check if YOU personally have them already downloaded.

sidenote, my fav TCZ checker gutmensch may want me to do that check but he has never asked me to, but in my prev reply I mentioned there is way of doing it, but I guess your coding skills are as weak as mine. So just run

tce-load -w compiletc submitqc4 wget

if you know you don't have those packages yet

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:42:53 PM by aus9 »

aus9

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
I decided to try and be smarter with all that echo stuff

so will show just the new way of doing the desktop entry

# create desktop entry
mkdir -p $F/usr/local/share/applications
cat <<EOF >> $F/usr/local/share/applications/firefox17.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox17
Exec=/usr/local/firefox17/firefox
Terminal=False                                       
Comment=Firefox17 Web Browser                         
StartupNotify=True                                   
Type=Application                                     
Categories=Application;Network;                     
Icon=firefox17                                       
X-FullPathIcon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/firefox17.png
EOF

have a go at doing the same for tce.installed start up script

I will upload an improved version later

reference
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4990172/how-to-append-several-lines-of-text-in-a-file-using-a-shell-script

hmmm might need a smarter way for things that look like commands tce.installed is borking atm
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:19:38 PM by aus9 »

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
Hi aus9
cat <<EOF >> $F/usr/local/share/applications/firefox17.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox17
X-FullPathIcon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/firefox17.png
EOF
If you run this more than once, the >> will cause the commands to be appended to the existing file, you probably
want just a single >.