Author Topic: [SOLVED[ PXE default menu.c32 locks up boot  (Read 49064 times)

Offline gmc

Re: PXE default menu.c32 locks up boot
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
curaga, tinypoodle - Thanks!

Offline gmc

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »
I have a special request.  Would someone be willing to try creating a PXE boot menu using a clean boot of TCL?  I know it is a lot to ask but I am stumped and don't know what I might be missing here...

Thanks in advance.

Offline genec

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »
By the way, using UI should override PROMPT.

Did you try to launch menu from the boot prompt?

Offline gmc

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
Hi genec,

I did try, but can't remember the details.  Will try again and let you know.

Offline genec

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 06:23:11 PM »
Also try something like this at the end of the file (the sequence is read entire config file, parse, then execute DEFAULT/UI or proceed to CLI; SAY is executed during the parse):

Code: [Select]
SAY End of config file

Offline gmc

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
genec - I love it!!  I put the SAY directive at the end of the 'default' file and set PROMPT to 1.  The entire file was parsed with no errors and the SAY directive printed out the message "end of config file".  At the "boot:" prompt I typed: menu.c32 and pressed Enter.  Immediate freeze. 

However, when I put the UI directive in the 'default' file I get an unknown keyword message at PXE client boot, just before the menu.c32 freeze (or before the 'boot:' prompt, depending on the PROMPT mode.  So it appears that UI is not recognized?  Is UI valid in version 4.02?

Offline genec

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
UI was introduced in 3.74.  As far as the bad keyword, I'm not sure what it would be (assuming you put your entire config in the first message).  What's the exact text?

menu.c32 appears to be your issue (or at least triggers it).  Any chance you could try pxelinux.0 and menu.c32 from the precompiled archive of  4.05 or 4.06?

I can probably try out TC as a boot system to see if I can see it in my VMs (on a VMware hosted platform).

Offline gmc

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
gene - you are closer to the truth than you know!  I did try the precompiled archives of 4.02 and 4.05.  But before I tried 4.0 I thought it would be wise to try the "grep PXELINUX /usr/share/syslinux/pxelinux.0" method (thanks tinypoodle) to get the actual syslinux version.  I found that syslinux in TC 4.7.5 is at version 3.61! 

Once I knew that little detail it was not too hard to figure out what to do next!  I downloaded the 3.61 binaries from syslinux (thanks for your tip), extracted and copied menu.c32 and pxelinux.0 to /netboot (after running tc-terminal-server) and tried a PXE client boot with a modified 'default' menu.  Need I say that it worked?  Well, just in case there is any doubt, IT WORKS!  I have a functional menu!  This has been a battle but it feels good, very good, to have it working.

Thanks to each and every one of you for the help you have given.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 06:16:54 AM »
But before I tried 4.0 I thought it would be wise to try the "grep PXELINUX /usr/share/syslinux/pxelinux.0" method (thanks tinypoodle) to get the actual syslinux version.  I found that syslinux in TC 4.7.5 is at version 3.61! 

If my fading memory serves me right - several years have passed - it may actually have been genec giving me the pointer to check such.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline genec

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »
I found that syslinux in TC 4.7.5 is at version 3.61!
Typical behavior of a COM32R in a COM32 environment.  Must be a few extensions with Syslinux component.

Offline genec

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
What TC version are you using?

EDIT: I see it in 4.7.5 core.gz
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:03:52 PM by genec »

Offline gmc

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
Greetings!

Imagine my surprise and pleasure as I was browsing the Web and found a reference to the latest TC release (4.7.6) and noted that one of the items changed was the PXE boot file name fix!  How cool is that!  Made my day.

I immediately downloaded the latest, greatest ISO, created a CD and booted.  Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I found that the same old problem exists! tc-terminal-server script still has 'option bootfile /pxelinux.0...'  Nothing has changed.  Sigh...

Well, it was nice to know that it was supposed to have been fixed.  Maybe next time...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
The new line was added, but removing the old line didn't seem to be necessary. boot_file is there in 4.7.6.

Does the presence of both lines cause issues on your client?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:01:39 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline gmc

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
Hi, I did not see the added line, just noted that the old one was as before. 

Clients still won't boot until old line is changed.

Thanks for letting meknow what's going on.  I'll go look at tc-terminal-server script again...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 06:44:32 AM »
Oh, here having them both didn't cause issues. Will remove the old line then.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.