Author Topic: [SOLVED] Installer: hangs with "error mounting usb device"  (Read 3508 times)

Offline gmc

Greetings,

I am attempting to install TCL 4.7.6 on an HP T5740 thin client.  The installer program hangs just after the UUID line is displayed, with the error message 'Error mounting usb device'.  I am doing a frugal install to an existing partition on sda1.  System is booted from external optical drive (sr0) which is attached and available.  No other usb device is attached.

The only other topic with the above error message was from a user who tried to install to floppy (fd0).  That does not appear to apply here.  For what it is worth, sda1 has almost a gig of free space.

I am wondering if the fact that I have to use waitusb=15 to boot to gui (extensions don't load without the wait) might have anything to do with the installer problem?  Just a thought...

Update:

I may have found the problem - the DOM (Disk On Module) is set to read only.  I suspect that would make it rather difficult for the installer to install anything.  After I get the DOM writable I will try again and post here with the results...

Final update:

I used hdparm to set the drive as r/w but this did not solve the problem.  The drive was set as some kind of "sandbox" that only allowed changes on a temporary basis, they were lost on reboot.  I wanted to share this partition but since I did not know how to get it to work with TCL I just did a 'Whole Disk" option with the tc installer and it worked.  The installer error message was a bit misleading to say teh least but the problem is solved.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:07:05 PM by gmc »