WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Licensing in regards to Redistribution of Virtual Machine image  (Read 1307 times)

Offline eliezedeck

Hi,

We have an application that runs on any Linux machine, and we want to build a Virtual Machine image (VMDK or the likes) where there is an installed TinyCore with the application and the whole system configured.

The whole point, is to make the use as quick as possible without overwhelming the targeted end-user with the many configurations for the application to initially work. So, the image ensure that it's configured and ready to work.

We'd like to know, on the practical level, how does the TC Licensing applies to that, and what do we need to provide as source.

Thanks,
Elie Zedeck

Offline tinypoodle

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:04:07 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline eliezedeck

Re: Licensing in regards to Redistribution of Virtual Machine image
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:27:42 AM »
Thanks for you reply. So I understand I need to provide the scripts and the files that I used to build the Release, and also provide the Release together.

Does that mean I can have the binary of our application in the image (which is compiled from closed-source C), without being forced to provide the source codes for that application?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Licensing in regards to Redistribution of Virtual Machine image
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Yes, if you're otherwise OK to distribute the binary without providing source, having it inside a TC image does not change that. (that's called "mere aggregation" by GPL)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.