WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: loading noncritical extension after boot bootlocal.sh afterboot.lst  (Read 2283 times)

Offline webb

i save a lot of boot time by putting only very few things in onboot.lst, such as bash, vim, openssh, git, xf86-video-intel, Xorg, dwm, dmenu, and urxvt. i used to then load less crucial extensions like bluetooth, gfortran, or cloog-ppl-dev via bootlocal.sh. this can be done via an afterboot.lst beside onboot.lst, or by other means. lately i've been manually loading. my next plan is autoload-and-run on file not found based on bin/filename from all .list files.

-webb

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: loading noncritical extension after boot bootlocal.sh afterboot.lst
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »
That is what ondemand does if the package and program have the same name.
Ex:
mc

If not, invoke the package name followed by program name.
Ex:
dropbear; ssh

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
Ignoring ondemand and going custom does not bode well for the provided audit functions.
Going custom will require much manual tweaking when changes occur in the repository.
Don't ignore what's in Core!
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline webb

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:25 AM »
hi gerald_clark and roberts,

thank you for the ondemand tip, i did not understand the ondemand feature early-on and haven't tried it since. i am enjoying using it now for the past few days, and i do apologize for being too often unaware of what's there.

-webb

Offline webb

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:18:21 AM »
i think that in my initial post i may not have adequately expressed what i'm up to. by "manually loading," i meant that i use tce-load -i for these extensions rather than loading them via onboot.lst .

here is my updated reasoning: ondemand is great for large gui apps that i may not need during a session, such as gimp2 or audacity. there are many extensions, though, that i will definitely use during a session, but i don't need during the first minute of startup. for these, it makes sense to me to load them in advance of needing them, but not in a way that slows startup, hence, in bootlocal.sh. if i were to load them in the standard ondemand way, at runtime, it wastes my time. is there any argument against such an approach?

many thanks,
webb

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:59:36 AM »
Core is a tool kit.  You can use the hammer and saw to build your house any way you want.
If you have a fast processor, loading your extensions in the background while you work may be your best solution.
If you are running an older, slower machine, it may be quite unusable until the extensions are loaded, making onboot the best solution.
Your decision.