WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can't access web sites even with successful web 'connection'  (Read 1304 times)

Offline davec60

Can't access web sites even with successful web 'connection'
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
Hi,
I am able to get a successful web 'connection' (via a correctly-switched USB modem and wvdial) but suddenly I cannot access any websites (via Firefox) or the Apps Program. This is puzzling as there was no such problem when I set this up a few weeks ago. I have had a similar problem in the past when 'connected' via free wi-fi but could not actually access any sites in a browser or the Apps program. There seems to be some sort of 'disconnect' between the successful modem connection and the functioning of the browser? (I don't think a firewall is responsible because the same situation is happening whether I have iptables/net-filter loaded or not). I wonder whether anyone can throw any light on why I cannot actually access web sites even with a successful web connection? Thanks,
davec60

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Can't access web sites
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Check your ipaddress, routes and nameservers.

ifconfig
route -n
cat /etc/resolv.conf

Offline davec60

Re: Can't access web sites even with successful web 'connection'
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:33:27 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for your help Gerald - the problem this time seems to have been with the resolv.conf file ie. mine was empty. After I had inserted the correct search and nameserver details, Firefox responded by connecting in the usual way.
davec60