WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Where did tc-install write the MBR?  (Read 7311 times)

Offline ananix

Where did tc-install write the MBR?
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:17:46 AM »
I have the following disk layout

sda1 Primary
sda2 Logical
sda5 Primary
sda6 Primary

I then install with tc-install but the MBR does not seem to end up the right place or at least its not booting from the right record?

-- Regards Andreas

Offline ananix

Re: Where did tc-install write the MBR?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:21 AM »
Ok did a new layout and install i notice if one reads between the lines that the boot manager is being installed on the same partition as TCL and MBR is only written if one checks it doing install.

Its in the install surgested that one does not check it if one already has an OS one wants to multiboot but instead install the grub extension afterwards. Would it not be easier to write the MBR and then setup the multi boot from the new TCL installation?

Otherway around seems like a bit of a fuss as i imagine you would have to boot from the cd again with boot codes pointing to the new TCL installation then install and setup grub?

Is it because extlinux cant boot up a ntfs partition this procedure is recommended?

-- Regards Andreas

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:25 AM »
Hi ananix
After running tc-install, you can open AppBrowser and install the grub utility and set up grub. You don't need to
reboot in between.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »
2 Observations:
1. Your initial disk layout looks very wrong.
2. You might want to change the initial subject of this thread, as there is no choice of where to write an MBR.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline ananix

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:27:51 AM »
Hi Rich good surgestion :) i take it as extlinux has problems multi boot diffrent files systems i guess that from its name and the diffrenternt variasiens of syslinux.

Hi tinypoodle, whats wrong with the disk layout, its flexible in regards to how i want to partion the free space in the furture, if i made four primaries i would never be able to use the wast amount of space still being left free on the disk. This layout makes it posible for me to expand to as many partitions as i need. But maybe im missing out on something.
The swap is located so it ends on the last sector.

sda1 windows
sda5 /
sda6 swap

The subject of the thread should fits just perfect then, as that is why its formulated as a question for that exact reason you cannot choose it, its nice to know what tc-install does on its own.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:55:05 AM »
Hi ananix
Hi tinypoodle, whats wrong with the disk layout,
I think he may have been referring to your syntax, possibly expecting something that looks more like:
Code: [Select]
sda1 Primary
sda2 Extended
sda5 Logical
sda6 Logical

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »
The MBR is the MBR.
There is only one place to write it.

Offline ananix

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:13:27 AM »
Your right rich that could more sense, just fdisk shows them as primaries on the one logic,

Yes gerald_clark thats why i wondered why it did not overwrite it. i was supprised to be greeted by the windows boot manager after i installed TCL, anyway next time im gonna try and save a pre installed windows partition im gonna pay alitle more notice to what i do and what the system writes it could all just be confusion im just pretty sure i followed the instructions. In any case i can manual do the procedure afterwards if its really importen,

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 04:35:04 AM »
The MBR is the MBR.
There is only one place to write it.

That is exactly why I suggested changing the subject of thread ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:21:46 AM »

Hi tinypoodle, whats wrong with the disk layout, its flexible in regards to how i want to partion the free space in the furture, if i made four primaries i would never be able to use the wast amount of space still being left free on the disk. This layout makes it posible for me to expand to as many partitions as i need. But maybe im missing out on something.
The swap is located so it ends on the last sector.

Understanding your motivation, I can't follow the reasoning of achievement of the goal.

It would help to get a clearer picture if you could post the output of "cfdisk -Ps" (which would require the cfdisk extension).

Offline ananix

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »
Hey tinypoodle
  And i dont really understand your sentence :) anyway i wanna thank you for your commitment and further investigation, but i think i might be overkill, and unnecessary waste of time. I was just surprised but it might all be due to a misunderstand, to many clicks to fast and so on.
  I just wanted to save a native windows installation on its partition, make another for TCL and another for swap and leave the rest as unpartitioned.

But again thank you.

-- Regards Andreas

Offline chattrhand

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
hi ananix,
for partitioning i prefer gparted from TinyCore repositories. It is graphic and quite self-explaining and more suited for newcomers.

The partition types of a hard disk have a well defined order:
- Primary partition(s):  1 to 4, numbered sda1, sda2, sda3, and sda4 if existing.

- If you need more than 4 partitions, the last of the partitions above must be an Extended Partition. It can be divided into as much Logical Drives as you want, numbered sda5, sda6 and so on,

The Extended Partition itself can be seen and handled only by Partition Tools like fdisk or gparted, not by the MountTool.

- When installing a new partition you must give it a file system type, like FAT32, NTFS, Linux-SWAP, EXT2, EXT3, and so on.

Here a short 'howto partition' for newcomers in my words (school-english only)

1. If you just have a single partition sda1 used by Windows, you have to shrink it. First secure your data to an external drive, then defragment it using Windows tools. 

2. Boot CorePlus CD, download gparted (with Apps) and open it. It will show your Windows partition and its used/unused space, You will also be shown what file system it is: FAT32 or NTFS. If it is NTFS, you should first close gparted, download  ntfsprogs.tcz  and then reopen gparted. Now you see the windows partition without warning sign.

Now consider what you have and what you need: 100 MByte for TinyCore, better 1 GByte, so you have some space for extensions and data, additional a SWAP partition, size  2x the builtin RAM. Note that your Windows partition must have as much space unused.

3. With gparted drag the upper limit of your Windows partition so that you get the space free that you need.

4. Within the freed space create one new partition for TC, either using FAT32 (accessible also by Windows) or EXT3 file system (invisible by and protected from Windows), and another partition as Linux SWAP.

5. Don't forget in the gparted menu:  Edit - Apply  to apply this new settings, then close gparted.

Now test if your Windows is runnable, it should. If your choice was FAT32 Windows will show a new empty partition D:\ , if it was EXT then Windows will not.

6. Restart with your CorePlus-CD. With the MountTool you will find  sda1 (Windows) and sda2 or sda5 (empty, for TinyCore,

Now your harddisk is prepared and you can proceed the standard TC-Install.

have fun
chattrhand
TinyCore, SliTaz, LinuxMint, Tails, Mac ...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
Hi chattrhand
the last of the partitions above must be an Extended Partition.
I've never heard of that restriction. Can you cite a reference? I just used gparted on a spare drive and it let me
partition it as follows:
Code: [Select]
sdb1   Primary   5Gig
sdb2   Extended  4Gig
  sdb5 Logical   1Gig
  sdb6 Logical   1Gig
sdb3   Primary   5Gig

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »
IMHO you are both partially right.

Technically any of the four possible primary partitions could be created as extended.

However, it is recommended and good practice not to have another primary partition following an extended one, in order to prevent future issues concerning reliability and compatibility with software which wouldn't respond well to such an unorthodox partitioning scheme.

Offline ananix

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 07:40:30 AM »
chattrhand thanks for writing so much but dont see the relation to my question, been using fdisk for 15years not gonna change now, defiantly not to an X program, i cant even figure out cfdisk

Rich i dont place my extended partition to end on last sector either. Thats where i place my swap, as it must spin faster on the edge than in the center as it has to cover a bigger distance, though not sure if last sectors are even last sectors even more, think morden disks does what it wants and presents it as it wants.

I think tinypoodle is right in he's interpatation of chattrhand atleast i backup the sillyness (totaly avoidble) in such a part scheme, even though it might apear like that from my first post, but as rich pointed out with a better translation of my part scheme.

I think the subject of this thread came to its conclusion a long time ago, tips and tricks for programs or partitioning should go in the right topics.