WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Rhythmbox python based plugins issue  (Read 3130 times)

Offline cep33920

Rhythmbox python based plugins issue
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
Hello,

i'm very impressed about tc concepts and capabilities,
i've made a jukebox on an old thinkpad laptop, with Rhythmbox.

I'd like the cherry on the cake, cover arts...
But every python based rb plugin seems not to load due to this kind of event (extract of console outputs):
...rb-python-module.c:406: Init of python module...
...unable to load module as python runtime could not be initialized

I've found a lot of threads on the net, and i tried to complete python installation (python-opengl and so on), and the problem is still here...

an idea on this scene ?
thanks

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Rhythmbox python based plugins issue
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
Hi cep33920
Maybe if you post the actual error messages after trying to load ONE of the plug-ins someone will see something
that can shed a little light on your situation. If you drag the mouse pointer over the error messages while holding
down the left mouse button, the text will be highlighted and saved in the paste buffer. Move the mouse pointer
to where you want to paste. Left click once to place the cursor, then center click once to paste the text.
If rhythmbox has a debug mode compiled in, you may be able to get more information with the -d switch.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
If you'd like to enable all the plugins in rhythmbox, you need something like the following:
Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -i gst-plugins-bad gst-plugins-ugly libdmapsharing libmusicbrainz gst-python gnome-python-desktop libgpod libmtp krb5 gnome-icon-theme pywebkit-2.7 python_mako-2.7 gnome-utils pyqt dbus-python-2.7 json-glib brasero python_coherence
..and even then, I think you need an account with somebody like last.fm before cover art will work.

Offline cep33920

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »
Rich,
i admit i was a bit lazy.... i was expected a reaction like juanito's one, and thanks to his post, i've no more problem to load module, i still have some to use them...
i'm trying this : http://code.google.com/p/rhythmbox-cover-art-browser/ and it seems not really compatible with my box...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »
This is as far as I get (see attached), I expect a pop-up to ask my username/password, but there is none...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:57:01 AM »
I can confirm you need a last.fm account for rhythmbox's built-in cover art plugin - "coverart" to work with last.fm

(There are however musicbrainz and podcast coverart python scripts in /usr/local/lib/rhythmbox/plugins/artdisplay in addition to the last.fm one.)

The plugin communicates with last.fm via a browser using gvfs - this implies:

the gvfs extension is loaded
/home/tc/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list has an entry pointing to a browser
the browser desktop file exec line contains "%u"

..if all goes well, rhythmbox will open your browser/a tab in your browser to allow you to login to last.fm and request that you allow access to rhythmbox. Once this is done, all last.fm functionality seems to work except the coverart download  :(

If you'd like to manually download coverart from last.fm (or anywhere else), rhythmbox will display it in the following cases:

the file is copied to /home/tc/.cache/rhythmbox/covers/artist - album.{jpg, png}
the file is copied to the same local folder as the tracks from an album and renamed cover.{jpg, png}

Offline cep33920

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
thank you Juanito and Rich,

i'm going on trying to setup the more comfortable solution based on tc an a tablet as remote control through vnc access (x11vnc).
To make this work :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rhythmarty/files/rhythmarty-0.4/

i've decided to downgrade to tc 2, with rhythmbox 0.12.6.
And.. it seems to work ! This good piece of code obtaind itself a few covers from the net, up to me to complete the job.
More precise details about this solution : just ask.
About "standard" covert art plugin : it seems to work without any account in this os an rhythmbox version.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »
it seems to work without any account in this os an rhythmbox version.

I believe earlier versions of rhythmbox/coverart plugin did not use last.fm for cover art..