WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core64 Build (Cannot mount selected partition)  (Read 5520 times)

Offline KHarvey

Core64 Build (Cannot mount selected partition)
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
So I am having less than luck with my laptop.

To keep this short and technical, I am now trying to load Tiny Core 64-bit onto it.

My current drive structure is as follows:
SDA1 = Windows 7
SDA2 = Windows 7
SDA3 = Backtrack
SDA6 = Swapfile
SDA7 = Data Drive
SDB1 = Should be Core64

I have grub2 running on my SDA drive to manage Backtrack and Windows 7.  I am installing TC on my SDB drive as it is my SSD.

So here are the steps I have been following (based on the Wiki):
I have downloaded the Core64.gz and VMLinuz64 to my sda7
I boot from the Core CD.
ab grub
q
i
q
mount /mnt/sda7
mount /mnt/sdb1
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/sdb1/boot/grub
cp /mnt/sda7/core64.gz /mnt/sdb1/boot/
cp /mnt/sda7/vmlinuz64 /mnt/sdb1/boot/
cp /tmp/tcloop/grub-0.97-splash/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/* /mnt/sdb1/boot/grub/
vi /mnt/sdb1/boot/grub/menu.lst
Code: [Select]
default 0
timeout 10
title Core64
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz64
initrd /boot/core64.gz

grub
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1,0)
quit

reboot

Then I have 1 of 2 things that happen.  If I have my SDB set to boot first in my BIOS I receive this error:
Booting 'Core64'
root (hd1,0)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
kernel /boot/vmlinuz64
Error 17:  Cannot mount selected partition
Press any key to continue

After some searching around I found that 0x7 is NTFS which means it thinks that (hd1,0) when my SDB drive is my first boot device is my SDA1.  No big deal, I haven't been able to fix this yet, but I should be able to figure it out.

So I change my boot order in the BIOS, and set my SDA as my first boot device.  I then press F12 at bootup and select SDB as my first boot device (hehe).  And then it kind of sort of acts like it may want to work.....almost.
I then boot and after a ton of stuff scrolls through the screen the last thing that I see is:
Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!

And if I reboot I receive the same error.  Also if I leave it up on the screen long enough I receive these errors as well:
INFO:  rcu_sched_state detected stall on CPU 0 (t=18000 jiffies)

This just hasn't been my week, and I just killed 90 minutes running through the same process over and over expecting different results.

I'm going to go try one other hair-brained idea, but if anyone has any suggestions I am open to anything.  I swear, if I can get this working, I will also attempt to update the wiki with the new steps (it's slightly outdated).

Offline KHarvey

Re: Core64 Build (Cannot mount selected partition)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
So I thought what I would try is moving away from grub and just use the extlinux that TC uses (not core).  So I ran through the tc-install script and installed TC.  Before rebooting I replaced core.gz and vmlinuz with the 64 bit versions, and then I updated /mnt/sdb1/tce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf to point to the new core64.gz and vmlinuz64.
But when I reboot I receive the same Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed! error that I was receiving before.

I just tried downloading the core64.gz and vmlinuz64 again, and I receive the same errors.  I even checked the MD5 and they matched.  So ummm yeah, I think I broke it.

*edit below*
On second thought, would the way I just described (not using grub) be a better way of installing the 64-bit version?  Or rather an alternative?  To me I thought it was a whole lot easier.

*edit 2*
On third thought, I still think it would be easier, but I forgot you would have to change out xvesa with Xorg as xvesa isn't compatible with 64-bit.  Sorry I didn't think about this until my drive home.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:22:59 PM by KHarvey »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »
Hi KHarvey
Why are you installing grub to sdb1? If you have grub2 installed to sda, why don't you just add another menu
item that points to sdb1?

Offline KHarvey

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »
Hi KHarvey
Why are you installing grub to sdb1? If you have grub2 installed to sda, why don't you just add another menu
item that points to sdb1?

It's actually a dumb reason, but I had it setup with grub2 on sda, but for some reason (without quiet) I was not getting any boot codes.  I would get a black screen for a few seconds, and then the GUI would just pop up.  For some reason I missed the boot codes, so that's when I changed back to extlinux (and just attempted grub) so that I could get them back.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:45:09 AM »

You likely need a newer kernel.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline KHarvey

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »

You likely need a newer kernel.

Is there a newer kernel of core64 ?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:56:13 AM »
None that I know of.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline KHarvey

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 07:08:42 AM »
Dang, and I am not at a level where I can try and build or upgrade my own kernel yet.

Oh well.  I'll post my problem I was having with the 32-bit version in the TC Q & A forum to see if there is an answer, but I don't think there is.

Well back to trying to build Bumblebee.  I really messed up with acquiring this laptop.

Thanks for the help curaga.