WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: MyData.tgz size and filetool.lst occasionally don't agree  (Read 2777 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Occasionally, MyData.tgz and filetool.lst don't agree in the size of the backup.

I know when something is wrong because the cpu usage unexplainably increases and the time it takes for shutdown and bootup has increased dramatically.  when the previous shutdown and boot was normal.

My filetool list does not show anything out of the ordinary, same list of file to be included with an uncompressed size of 0.77MB and 0.55MB compressed, yet the size of the mydata.tgz file has increased to 208.68MB

When this happens (as it does occasionally), I delete the backup and make a new one, which fixes the issue (for a while at least).

How do I expand the mydata.tgz file into the /tmp directory  to see what is going on?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: MyData.tgz size and filetool.lst occasionally don't agree
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:01:18 AM »
cd /tmp
mkdir test
cd test
tar xvf /path/to/mydata.tgz
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
Browse it with Midnight Commander.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »
Thx I didn't realize I could unpack it with tar..  and midnight commander..  Doh!!

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:57:06 PM »
Ok for some reason backup had suddenly decided to include the the entire contents of the /home/tc/   yet filetool.lst indicates only some sub-directories are included within the backup. 

Meanwhile, I simply created a new backup and all is normal again.. ;)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »
The default .filetool.lst contains:
opt
home

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Thanks yes I agree the default system includes home and opt, however I'm only concerned in keeping specific settings files in a frugal install.  So home and opt are not included in the filetool.lst, have not been since original install and even today not accidentally included.    I looked within the filetool.lst immediately after the error occurred and neither home or opt were listed despite the tool including home  (not opt) within the backup!! 

Though there are times after an upgrade to a new tc version I find the contents of my filetool.lst replaced by home & tc, when this happens I restore the list from a local backed up file and delete both home and opt entries.   Both the above scenario's occur often enough that I know exactly where to look to troubleshoot when the system doesn't boot as desired with personal configurations.

This system is using core 4.5.3 

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »
Maybe the core files have been corrupted somehow, so I've replaced core and vmlinuz   from the latest ISO download. 

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »
Show the output of 'showbootcodes' and the contents of .filetool.lst.
You have something configured incorrectly.