WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: transistor computer command set writing  (Read 3955 times)

Offline 3_bit

transistor computer command set writing
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
This is pretty off topic... But I'm making a computer from transistors that will have 3-bit commands, 3 bit addresses, and 3-bit data. I want it to be versatile, maybe even able to run a text interface. It is being built in Minecraft. All I'm asking for is a stripped-down command set that can be used to write an OS-running device.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: transistor computer command set writing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »
Afraid no way with 3 bits.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tsaukpaetra

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »
Even though that would be impressive, creating a CPU from scratch (and then loading it with a program) would take more than what most would consider worth it.
You would need the CPU, some sort of memory, interpreter logic, communications bus to go between the three, and something to do with all of that.
Something that would have a text interface would be virtually insurmountable, because you would need again another processor with memory (to hold the video bitmap, and the font bitmap).
Estimate for a 3-bit computer, 3 bit addresses for 3 bit characters (really?) I would estimate approximately 4500 placed redstone, 3200 pistons, 2000 repeaters, 40 glowstone (for indicator/output), 12 levers, 2 pushbuttons.
But if you do manage to do it, You should be able to land a job in just about any electrical engineering job ;)

Gook luck!

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 06:58:28 AM »
First make an emulator to verify concept.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."