WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 32620 times)

Offline lemming

Raspberry Pi
« on: April 01, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
Any plans for a TC port to Raspberry Pi?

There is a post  in the 'off topic' section (don't know why it is off topic) that talks about the Raspberry Pi but does not say whether there are plans for a TC port.

TC would be ideal for the Pi as I am sure due to the type of board and target audience of the Pi, there are due to be many 'power off' shutdowns with the  resulting file system corruption. Not an issue with TC.  It will also be interesting to see how the mainstream Linuxes cope with 256 Mb RAM.  Again, not an issue with TC.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
Hi lemming
It is off topic because it concerns a port of TC that does not exist. The forum is X86 orientated.
there are due to be many 'power off' shutdowns with the  resulting file system corruption. Not an issue with TC.
If you run with a non-persistent home, there is still the issue of losing everything since you last ran a backup.

Offline hiro

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
The PI is a hoax in my view.  I would have bought it if it were possible.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
The PI is a hoax in my view.  I would have bought it if it were possible.

It's not a hoax. Now you can order it from Farnell. See details at

https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-43262/l/updated-11-march-frequently-asked-questions-about-raspberry-pi
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline hiro

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:08 AM »
They say there are only 2000 of them available. Seems like not even worth trying to get one. I'm not saying they made the whole thing up. But when I tried to order it didn't work.
I'll see if some day it will get available to the broad public. But I'm sure by then we'll have lots of other more capable hardware from the competition.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
200 thousand new rasberry pi's have been ordered at the factory. Majority model B's...as of a couple of weeks ago

V.

Offline ray0665

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »
They are being shipped in droves,  Tech Republic has an "Arrival Tear down" on their newsletter today.

Now back to the question at hand.
I for one think TC is a great match for Rpi but I don't have the skills to port it myself.
Are there any like minded capable members planning anything?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
Thats interesting. I plan to evalute. But until one actually has one not much can truly be done.  I have one on order, order number confirmed as of Feb 29. Yet still not even an email about when it will arrive.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline spence91

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 06:45:17 AM »
I have one, and the first thing I thought about was trying to get tinycore on it.

Once I get a bit of free time I'll let the board know how it goes.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
Amazing! My confirmed order of 29 Feb still has not come. I am promised end of April, then end of May, now I am told end of June.  I guess that they don't understand the meaning of a queue. Quickly losing interest here. In fact ready to cancel.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »
It's indeed quickly starting to look that the competitors can ship in volume before the Pi..
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
Like the 1GB mk802!

Offline netnomad

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »
hi friends,

i use a raspberrypi now for a couple of weeks with the official debian-iso.
i work and play with plain debian on a couple of platforms and it's a long lasting love.

this official iso is much too fat for my taste...
i love it lean, clean, secure and fast, so i lost a bit the interest in this official iso...
perhaps i will config my own installation, but i would prefer something light like tinycore on it.
so if you want i test everything that you want to provide...

thank you in advance for all your contributions.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:08:54 PM by netnomad »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
Roberts and Co

thankyou for sharing your hardware device knowledge. It is very interesting
to learn of personal computing devices now on the market. The mk802 is anazing
to see. (if you "could" see it, that is....it's so tiny)

After reading, it appears that the new APC computer from VIA does not directly connect to google play marketplace website. You can certainly install apps and use many android apps by using the .apk file of each app.

The notes do not mention if the APC computer will come with any pre-installed , ready rolled and free "third party marketplace" app stores.

I know it is simple to get any free app from google play marketplace by downloading to your PC desktop.  There is a free tool to do that. It is a free google Chrome extension called
http://codekiem.com/2012/02/24/apk-downloader/

You still need your device ID for your android device. For that you get a simple free androd app of the web which runs on your device and shows you your devices ID number.

This can then allow you to get apps from google play marketplace and put them on a memory
card and into your android device.

i thank you again

V.

Offline spence91

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:28 AM »
Amazing! My confirmed order of 29 Feb still has not come. I am promised end of April, then end of May, now I am told end of June.  I guess that they don't understand the meaning of a queue. Quickly losing interest here. In fact ready to cancel.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Sorry to hear that - I ordered mine on the 3rd of March and it came through last week. It's always frustrating having to wait for a new toy!

It's indeed quickly starting to look that the competitors can ship in volume before the Pi..

As long as the pi has driven the *ridiculous* price of these boards/small ARM|x86 pc's down then it's done us all a huge favor.