WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: emelfm2 - on right click file menu gview, gqview, gimp require associated ext.  (Read 2792 times)

Offline bigpcman

I just noticed while testing tc2rc1 that after using the screen shot tool and trying to view the picture located in /home/tc using emelfm2 none of the picture viewers work. The right click menu brings up three choices - gview, gqview and gimp but of course none work without an associated extension being installed. I wonder if gview or gqview could be added to emelfm2.tcz as a dependency?
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
I see your point but I would rather let the user decide which helper apps he wants to install along with emelfm2.  Inkscape, gview, gimp, xv, gqview are part of the default menu for opening images and each person will have their favorite and will install such . 

I am tempted though to add fl_picsee among those options as it is in base, but it would mean recompiling.

Offline bigpcman

I see your point but I would rather let the user decide which helper apps he wants to install along with emelfm2.  Inkscape, gview, gimp, xv, gqview are part of the default menu for opening images and each person will have their favorite and will install such . 

I am tempted though to add fl_picsee among those options as it is in base, but it would mean recompiling.

I just figured the tcz version could be made more convenient by adding a small viewer, I don't have a preference.
big pc man

Offline mikshaw

I fully support Jason's idea of letting the user decide.  A menu included with an application is just an example, something to help you get started.  Just about any file manager or window manager you install will include a menu filled with the author's idea of a good collection of popular apps, and there are always going to be apps that aren't installed on everybody's computer (I remember not too long ago there was one that wanted Netscape =o)).

I've seen some people try to help this situation by making a wrapper script to find an appropriate application.  For example, you could have a script called "image_viewer".  This script checks a list of possible apps and executes one if it's installed.  The menu item would call image_viewer instead of a specific app.
Code: [Select]
APP=""
for app in gqview xnview gview gimp; do
  if which $app >/dev/null; then
    APP=$app
    break
  fi
done
[ -z $APP ] && exit
exec $APP $@
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:10:34 AM by mikshaw »