WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: modprobe xxxx not found  (Read 2078 times)

Offline waslit

modprobe xxxx not found
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »
so basically long story short Ive been working with rebuilding the CD to have drivers for some things I require. Basically I zcat the core.gz file to a directory call extract. Then I rebuild the kernel using the kernel provided by tinycore and built it outside my working project. then using [root@mantaray linux-3.0.3]#make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=../extract modules_install
extract being my project directory. Then doing a depmod -a -b extract/ to get the modules in.

This has worked flawlessly since during boot it detects all the hardware without issue. The problem I'm having is when I do a modprobe ipmi_msghandler for example I get ipmi_msghandler not found. Whats weird ,to me at least, is that if I do a modprobe -l | grep ipmi it finds the module just fine.
So doing some troubleshooting, and I'm no expert, I ran strace on the call and it does go to the correct files. I even checked the files to see is it in there? and still its a no go. Now I am curious if its a pathing issue since the modules.deb etc all tart /kernel/drivers/***** instead of what I would expect /lib/modules/3.0.3-tinycore/kernel/drivers/****

Am I doing something wrong?
The only limit to my abilities, lies in how much I feed my curiosities.

Offline waslit

Re: modprobe xxxx not found
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:37 PM »
Something I have found is that insmod directly to the module path works. So that eliminates the modules being an issue.... maybe some patching issue? Will do more testing

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:24:33 AM »
Please strace the original call, "modprobe ipmi_msghandler" and pastebin the output.

The modules.dep you have is correct.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline waslit

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »
Kk will do Monday when I get back to work.

Offline waslit

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »
 :o /faceplam

I dont believe. so basically I figured it out on accident. So when you do the mod install to the root of whatever your build is it creates a bunch of module.xxx files. Those that are needed by tc are modules.alias, modules.dep, modules.symbols. I also noticed that the symlinc for kernel.tclocal was missing. So I deleted the rest, recreated the symlink and in the honorable words of the blue guy "Shabaam!" it worked.