General TC > General TC Talk

TC for Raspberry Pi

(1/5) > >>

bmarkus:
Raspberry Pi will be available soon and I'm sure I'm not the only one who already placed an order. According to its specification it is a good target for TC and also price is reasonable even if it is slighltly above the annoinced $35. Another good point wide availability (hopefully) and the unified platform, no segmentation according to different hardware.

It is the time now to start a project for Raspberry Pi to show that there is a life over the 1.8GByte Debian. I'm ready to participate but it must be a team work. Also would be good to do it officially as part of the TC development (there is already an ARM directory at the ibiblio server :) )

What is the view of TC Core Development Team and of course other community members?

curaga:

--- Quote ---(there is already an ARM directory at the ibiblio server  )
--- End quote ---

Where?

caminati:

--- Quote from: bmarkus on February 29, 2012, 08:12:51 AM ---Raspberry Pi will be available soon and I'm sure I'm not the only one who already placed an order. According to its specification it is a good target for TC and also price is reasonable even if it is slighltly above the annoinced $35. Another good point wide availability (hopefully) and the unified platform, no segmentation according to different hardware.

It is the time now to start a project for Raspberry Pi to show that there is a life over the 1.8GByte Debian. I'm ready to participate but it must be a team work. Also would be good to do it officially as part of the TC development (there is already an ARM directory at the ibiblio server :) )

What is the view of TC Core Development Team and of course other community members?

--- End quote ---

Please count me in, for what I'm worth.
What is happening with Raspberry and collapsing prices on arm SoCs is impressive: also look at Allwinner A10, which is candidate to power devices even more open than Raspberry itself, and maybe cheaper in the long run:

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/
http://limadriver.org/

The Mele A1000 this morning has been briefly available on aliexpress for 60$:
http://www.mele.cn/en/web/pro_show.aspx?cid=46&pid=60
This makes it an early competitor for Raspberry Pi.

I was pissed off for not getting a RaspberryPi Model B this morning at 7am (by the way, it looks like they will manage to fit 256Mb ram even on the cheaper A model, which mitigates the delusion for having to wait), and so I bought an Allwinner-based tablet at 100euro:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/506135830-Ainol-Novo7-ELF-android-4-0-tablet-pc-capacitive-IPS-8GB-MID-wholesalers.html

I am willing to do tests on it, or whatever could be useful.
One problem is the lack of backward compatibility between Arm families. I don't know how this is managed on other distros.
Finally: Bmarkus, are you joking about a supposed arm directory living on ibiblio?

roberts:

--- Quote from: bmarkus on February 29, 2012, 08:12:51 AM ---Raspberry Pi will be available soon and I'm sure I'm not the only one who already placed an order. According to its specification it is a good target for TC and also price is reasonable even if it is slighltly above the annoinced $35. Another good point wide availability (hopefully) and the unified platform, no segmentation according to different hardware.

--- End quote ---
I am certainly interested. At least to prototype, that is, to use their kernel and modules and see how the Core foundation performs. But, I am not 1 in 10,000 that sold out in minutes, and I am in the USA. So when I might actually get one is unknown. Still as time permits there is virtualization for initial evaluation.

BTW There was an arm directory as well as an x64 directory. They were both later removed. So likely you synced your local copy at that time.

bmarkus:
@Robert

thanks for the answer. Glad to hear that you are interested :) Right, we can start it in a virtual environment, no need for the hardware in the beginning. Actually there are two LINUX versions announced. One is SENECA collage who demonstrated videos but their FEDORA REMIX is not yet available. Second is CNXsoft, their DEBIAN is available with instruction how to run with QEMU. It is a good starting point, I will set it up in the next days:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/02/18/raspberry-pi-releases-1st-sd-card-image-debian-how-to-use-it-in-the-emulator/

@Curaga

Few weeks ago looking for buggy .dep files at ibiblio with ftp I have seen the arm directory which suggested that there is something going or at least planned :)

@Caminati

Fine, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version