WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore 4.3 boot error  (Read 10545 times)

Offline AlejandroPadrino

TinyCore 4.3 boot error
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Hello to all members,

I can't start TinyCore 4.3 and TinyCorePlus 4.3.  Booting both .Iso images always goes to console.  After erasing /mnt/sda1/tce/mydata.tgz (settings from TinyCore 4.1) haves the same result.  This error also is present on TinyCore 4.2.1.

Anyone can help?

Thanks.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: TinyCore 4.3 boot error
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
If you are booting from a slow device, i.e., a usb connected cdrom, then adding waitusb=5 bootcode will be helpful.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
Hi AlejandroPadrino
That's not information to go on. It sounds like you reproduced the behavior in TC4.1 by deleting the backup. However,
in the process you destroyed any clues as to why this is happening. It sounds likely that the entries in your .filetool.lst
file could have provided some answers.

Offline wendeloo

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:01 AM »
I experienced the same behaviour with TC 4.3 like Alejandro.
On a "clean" system without any hard disk partitions TC 4.3 does not boot into the X GUI, but run into the console. Taking a TC 3.8.4 or TC 3.7 works fine. It feels like something is wrong with the initialization/start of X.

Motherboard I have used: Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525 (boot from USB mem stick)
@Alejandro: What's your hardware platform?

I wrote this to show that Alejandro is not the only one with this error  ???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:24:17 AM by wendeloo »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:31 AM »
Hi wendeloo
What do you see if you enter   cat /proc/cmdline

Offline wendeloo

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:58 AM »
Hi Rich,
cat /proc/cmdline will result in: "initrd=/boot/core.gz quiet cde BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz"

Meanwhile I searched the booted system, but didn't found any X related files (for example "xsetup", ...). Seams that X is not loaded.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:42:16 AM by wendeloo »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:59 AM »
cde is an incorrect boot code for a pendrive install. How did you install to pendrive?

Do you even have a tce directory?
Likely you have a cde directory that was just copied from the iso and you just need to rename it to tce

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:11 AM »
Hi wendeloo
You also want to at least add   waitusb=5   to those boot codes.

Offline wendeloo

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:55:13 AM »
Hi Robert,

YUMI-0.0.4.7 was used with tinycore-current.iso (4.3). Also I did NOT use any boot codes. The hard disk of the system is definitive empty.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:28 AM »
Your post said booting from mem stick. So it had to be installed onto the memstick.
The memstick would need a tce directory with the X related extensions as described in the release notes.
How to use with memstick (pendrives) is all explained in the FAQ: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/faq.html#pendrives

Offline wendeloo

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »
@Robert
to prevent from missunderstanding (I'm not a native English speaker): I have used YUMI as a loader for tinycore_current.iso (NOT installed the system to the pendrive, ONLY boot the ISO from it). The ISO-image doesn't contain any tce directory. So what?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »
You need a tce directory with at minimum Xvesa.tcz, Xlibs.tcz, Xprogs.tcz, fltk-1.10.tcz, flwm_topside.tcz, and wbar.tcz. These are currently in the iso image in the cde directory. Since you are running from directly from the iso then I would suggest, If you have space or even are able to write to memstick, copy from your booted system the cde/ to the memstick renaming it tce. The goal is to have a writable tce directory on the memstick.

Offline wendeloo

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
@Robert:
I think that your last statement isn't right. In the ISO-image is no tce directory. What I found is: "/Session 01/cde" and curiously there is a directory called "/Session 01/cde/optional" where all the X stuff can be found.
I suggest, that the loading mechanism (used since 4.2 with separation of the core.gz-file from the x stuff) has an error (path to x stuff?).
The loading process shoult move it to the tce directory in running memory.
And: the "copy2fs.lst", "onboot.lst" and "xbase.lst" have no path information that points to "./optional" (is that right?), but the tcz files for X GUI are there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:30:59 AM by wendeloo »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »
There is no error, there is no tce directory in an iso9660 image as it would not be writable!
The X stuff has been factored out of the base as was requested by the community.
You are used to the X being embedded in the initial ram disk as was the case.
Your easiest route is as I have suggested to make a tce directory on any writable storage area and copy the contents of the cde directory.

Of the course the easiest way is to use CorePlus or even just tc-install.tcz as strongly recommened in the FAQ.

We put forth the effort to make easy to use tools. But if users ignore them then we get into this exchange of manual setup.

ab tc-install.tcz

Offline wendeloo

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »
@Robert:
I'm very sorry, but I did not understand, what is the difference between a ISO booted via USB-memstick and an CD-ROM burned one. There is the same problem, you correctly described: This medium is READ-ONLY. So how about the tce directory when booting from CD-ROM?