WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using tinycore to repair a machine?  (Read 7701 times)

Offline dyspoid

Using tinycore to repair a machine?
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »
Hey guys, I'm currently trying to fix up and old laptop that we haven't used in years. It's a good little thing, a bit old, but I'm enjoying trying to fix it. Anyway, it has a pretty bad problem, it seems that a virus has screwed up the HDD, or something like that. As such, I installed tinycore on my usb, and have booted to that. I've managed to view (well, see that they're there) files located on the  HDD, does this mean that it is still in tact? Could I actually resurrect this computer?

Would my next course of action be to install some kind of antivirus, to fix it, or to format the HDD or something? I'm a noob, but I get interested and learn pretty quickly.

Any help is appreciated, and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Using tinycore to repair a machine?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
If it was not used for years, probably the best is just format the HDD and make a fresh install.

Guess it is a WINDOWS machine. Also you can try to check with CLAMAV antivirus (install ntfs-3g to get access to WINDOWS drive).

All depends on what do you want to use it for in the future. LINUX can be an alternative to WINDOWS reinstall but consider LINUX on laptop is not so triviall due to energie management (well, if your battery is already dead it is not so important). And of course what is the configuration.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline dyspoid

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »
Thankyou for your response, bmarkus.

How might I do that, while running tinycore? Are there any tools that I need to download?

It is a windows machine, was running XP.

I'd like to use it for windows, because I'll probably let my little brother use it when I buy a new computer, and linux isn't as simple to play with as windows for an 8yo, haha. I'm actually starting to like linux, it's better than I had expected.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »
All this really has nothing to do with tinycore.
If you want to run Windows on this machine, you could reload XP from scratch,
or find a Windows forum to help you clean it up.

Offline dyspoid

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:17:35 AM »
I'm just trying to ascertain whether or not tinycore is capable of helping me repair my system. I've made some progress so far, using  tinycore, so I was just wondering if anyone could help me with the rest of it. The reason I need to use tinycore is because I can't reload it, and I can't boot windows. I didn't mean to tick anyone off.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
Nobody is ticked off.
If your windows machine will not boot, there is probably little that tinycore can do assist you.
You need windows diagnostics that can remove viruses and replace missing/damaged system files.

You would be far better off finding a boot CD designed for this purpose.

Offline dyspoid

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
Surely there is an application that can help me format the HDD or at least partition it? I have heard of testdisck, or something of the kind, but can't seem to find it in tcz., but people mention having it. What gives?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
You will have to make up your mind.
If you want to run Windows, tinycore is not your answer.
If you want to wipe out windows, and install tinycore, download the coreplus iso and burn it to a CD.
Then follow the installation instructions in the wiki.

Offline dyspoid

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »
I can't use CD, I can only boot from USB. A virus screwed the computer up, and I was under the impression that by loading a boot disk with tinycore, I could figure out what was wrong with the computer, and take action. For example, I wanted to format the HDD, THEN reinstall windows. So far I've looked through files on the HDD, using TC. Do you know if this means that the HDD is still operational, and that the virus is the issue, not a hardware issue?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
To install Windows, you need the Windows installation DVD and a DVD drive.
This is not a tinycore issue.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »
With Tiny Core using CLAMAV you can make a virus check, you can delete infected files and can make HDD bootable.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
However, if you delete an infected system file, you probably will not be able to boot.
I fear that using tinycore to fix a broken windows machine is beyond dysoid's current capabilities.

Offline dyspoid

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 05:29:35 AM »
Well, is it that difficult? I've got CLAMAV running as we speak.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »
Be careful because clamav does not clean up the files, but deletes them (if you ask), there was a version of avg for linux?

Offline beerstein

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »
HI: If there is a virus, there is only one option left:

Use geparted from a live CD/DVD and reformat the whole hard drive. Partition the hd for XP and TinyCore. (ntfs and ext3/ext4)
Clean the bootsector and reset the MBR. Make sure that nothing is left in the boot area of the hd.

Reinstall XP on a ntfs partition. Frugal install Tiny Core into your ext3/ext4 partition, use GRUB to dual boot.

Then you should have a clean system. Check all other storage devices for viruses and clean or dump.

have a good one

t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question