WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Add mc to CorePlus 4.2.1  (Read 2786 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Add mc to CorePlus 4.2.1
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »
Possibly I'm not the only one feels blind without mc. It is the first extension I'm installing on a new system. WOuld be nice to have it on the CorePlus extension set by default.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline netnomad

Re: Add mc to CorePlus 4.2.1
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:11:20 AM »
i agree, mc is one of the most important swiss-army-knives!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:18:28 AM by netnomad »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
lol that's funny,  I'm completely blind with mc.   I'm sure mc is a great tool if you know how to use it, personally though I have a hard time with it, if it were more intuitive maybe :(

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
The menu keys are pretty self explanatory.
I don't know how you could make it more intuitive.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
With dependencies MC would add 4MB. Then some may prefer a more complete GUI file manager like Fluff or even DirWin.  Although I think both would need updating for new 4.2 structure and dependencies.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Looks to me like the modular approach of coreplus 4.2 allows anyone to download their choice of file manager, thankfully that issue is a non starter..

Lets face it, there is no ideal file manager yet. some are hard to use, some are hard to configure, others are to bulky and then others have quirks..

For me and my efficient mouse I choose fluff despite its many quirks, at least I'm productive.   mc and emelfm fall into a category of file managers which I haven't used in 15 to 20+ years.  Sure I can figure out the menus if I had too, but glad they work for others is all..

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
I'm not talking about adding mc to Core or Tiny Core but Core Plus only. It is not for every day use but a tooll set to get TC up (install) on HD, USB stick, etc. In such case size is less important than to have necessary console tools available without network connection to adjust, modify, check machine, files, etc. It can be useful as an emergency set also.

CorePlus is not to be confused as the distribution.
It use is primarily to facilitate installations for those uses who do not have easy access to a network,

In this respect mc is the most universal and compact tool. Also, few other tools are handy in such case, like smartmontools and mdadm similar to for example tc-install which comes with Core Plus but in most cases not installed on target machine.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:37:27 PM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."