WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Calibre...ebook manager  (Read 3480 times)

Offline gwalther

Calibre...ebook manager
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »
Calibre is a ebook manager that looks quite useful as an extension for TC

Linux download here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

needs xdg-utils...?

Offline gwalther

Re: Calibre...ebook manager
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »
Got it to work!!!..
I downloaded and installed python
Downloaded xdg-utils.deb and converted it to tcz using script mentioned in these forums, then installed.
Download calibre script on the link mentioned above and ran it.
The script asked for dir to use...I chose /tmp/.  It downloaded a bunch of stuff, ran , took awhile and created a dir  /tmp/usr/calibre with alot in it.

I got calibre to run by installing ..libltdl.tcz,dbus.tcz,libxcb.tcz, and qt-4.x-xml.tcz..then
     sudo sh /tmp/usr/calibre/calibre

Ok so it opened the display, connected to my kindle and worked as shown in the calibre website demo.

The best feature of calibre is it's ability to go to magazine (news) websites, download, convert to kindle format and push to your kindle.   The result is very readable...favorites so far..The Economist, Discover magazine and PC Magazine.

Next I tried making  it into a tcz extension...it took awhile especially getting calibre.desktop to work (used info and icon from a calibre.deb)...the end result was a large 60mb extension.....(my extension is not in the right format to submit..but it works)

For anyone who thinks calibre might be useful...it is possible to get it to work in Tinycore.

Note...I don't think the xdg-utils.tcz extension I made worked.  I think it should have created a calibre.desktop file..it did not.  I don't know if xdg-utils  is even needed to get working program.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:25:00 AM by gwalther »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
Hi gwalther
Downloaded xdg-utils.deb and converted it to tcz using script mentioned in these forums, then installed.
The repository contains  xdg-utils.tcz  version 1.0.2 which is what calibre requires.
Note...I don't think the xdg-utils.tcz extension I made worked.  I think it should have created a calibre.desktop file..it did not.  I don't know if xdg-utils  is even needed to get working program.
From the calibre website:
You must have xdg-utils and python ≥ 2.6 installed on your system before running the installer.
the end result was a large 60mb extension
Thats because, as per the website:
calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its dependencies.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 01:09:04 AM »
Just in case you don't read LWN, calibre calls home and has known vulnerabilities in its mounting code (intentional and still there, AFAIK).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline gwalther

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »
Jason....does the vunerability is calibre's linux version....carry over to the windows or portable version?

Also, after reading the LWN article, I do not know enough to judge the risks of using the linux calibre version.  Booting TC from a cd and not backing up when shutting down after using calibre, is there a security risk?

Thanks in advance for any further info you can provide.  I do like the functionality of calibre.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »
The vulnerability is a local privilege escalation - if you're the only user, it's nothing to worry about. Also probably linux-only.

The calling home is likely in all versions.

BTW, perhaps you mixed us up? I'm not Jason :)

Offline gwalther

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
Sorry about the mixup..curaga....

The only excuse I have is that I am old....
Thanks for the info...really appreciate it..
I find security issues and possible effects on my personal system very difficult to evaluate...any suggested reference material that an old timer could understand?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »
It means that if someone can open calibre on your machine, he can have root.

I don't know of any material explaining these, though.

Offline gwalther

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
Did some more reading.  Seems the vulnerability  "local privilege escalation" was  due to suid mount helper and  was fixed in calibre 8.25...as the mount helper was removed.  I use version 8.30 and in deed, when I plug in my kindle I have to manually mount it.. More reading suggests calibre would use ..udisks...if it finds it to auto mount your reader.  I see ..udisks.tcz ..in repo but due to size decided not to try it...manaully mounting my kindle when I plug it in, is not that big a deal.

Now to figure out what calling home opens my system up to!

Still really liking and using  ...calibre...find it very useful.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
Good to hear they got to their senses and removed it.

"Calling home" in this case is not a security risk to your system. It means that the Calibre developers will know where you are each time you open Calibre (assuming you have an internet connection at the time).

It may send other information too, but quick reading suggests it's only a unique identifier.