Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

Extensions not loading on boot in MC 4.0.2 (using ISO in VMware)

<< < (2/3) > >>

nim108:

--- Quote from: curaga on November 12, 2011, 07:30:45 AM ---There is no difference between TC and MC in this regard. I suspect a timing issue or something similar.

--- End quote ---
curaga, that's what I thought as I did not see any difference in the init scripts. Do you have any other suggestions for me to try? I'd like to get Microcore working (in terms of loading extensions on boot) the way Tinycore is.

curaga:
Now that I checked, as of 4.0.1 the cde dir & bootcode should be used, and a tce dir on the cd shouldn't work. That it did would be a bug, though not one we need to absolutely chase down.

roberts:
Your subject title is very mis-leading! Many of us use microcore and extensions load as expected.

Your particular situation is directly running from an iso, not a physical cdrom, but an emulated one in vmware.

Regardless an iso is read-only and therefore having a tce directory recognized therein would prevent normal use.
That is why a cde directory is used. That way extensions, albeit, "frozen" will load upon boot while allowing also allowing a normal writable tce directory.

nim108:

--- Quote from: roberts on November 12, 2011, 09:28:34 AM ---Your subject title is very mis-leading! Many of us use microcore and extensions load as expected.

Your particular situation is directly running from an iso, not a physical cdrom, but an emulated one in vmware.

Regardless an iso is read-only and therefore having a tce directory recognized therein would prevent normal use.
That is why a cde directory is used. That way extensions, albeit, "frozen" will load upon boot while allowing also allowing a normal writable tce directory.

--- End quote ---
Thanks robert! I did not intend to mislead anyone, I apologize for the vague title. This makes sense though. It is quite odd though, that TC will only work with /tce and MC will only work with /cde with cde as a bootcode (again, this may just be due to the weird nature of loading the ISO up in VMware and odd timing that curaga was referring to).

I am assuming that this strange behavior is why MC nor TC cannot restore the mydata.tgz file I have in /tce (or in /cde, as I've tested both)? It never catches it. Any ideas for that? Obviously this situation is not ideal, I agree, but this is the best way I've found to test it before I am ready to pxe boot these images.

Edited my title to make it more transparent in case anyone else was having the same issue.

curaga:
Right, the cde code does not check for backups currently. You may be able to force it via restore=sr0 and having mydata.tgz in the root of the iso.

Having a read-only backup device isn't an end-user-friendly situation either though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version