Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

Extensions not loading on boot in MC 4.0.2 (using ISO in VMware)

<< < (3/3)

Rich:
Hi nim108
Since you are virtualizing this anyway, why don't you just put Microcore on a small virtual hard drive?
Then your /tce directory will be writable.

ixbrian:

--- Quote from: nim108 on November 13, 2011, 04:48:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: roberts on November 12, 2011, 09:28:34 AM ---Your subject title is very mis-leading! Many of us use microcore and extensions load as expected.

Your particular situation is directly running from an iso, not a physical cdrom, but an emulated one in vmware.

Regardless an iso is read-only and therefore having a tce directory recognized therein would prevent normal use.
That is why a cde directory is used. That way extensions, albeit, "frozen" will load upon boot while allowing also allowing a normal writable tce directory.

--- End quote ---
Thanks robert! I did not intend to mislead anyone, I apologize for the vague title. This makes sense though. It is quite odd though, that TC will only work with /tce and MC will only work with /cde with cde as a bootcode (again, this may just be due to the weird nature of loading the ISO up in VMware and odd timing that curaga was referring to).

I am assuming that this strange behavior is why MC nor TC cannot restore the mydata.tgz file I have in /tce (or in /cde, as I've tested both)? It never catches it. Any ideas for that? Obviously this situation is not ideal, I agree, but this is the best way I've found to test it before I am ready to pxe boot these images.

Edited my title to make it more transparent in case anyone else was having the same issue.

--- End quote ---

In case it helps, you can use ezremaster (available in the repository or in MultiCore) to easily create a remaster that will have your mydata.tgz file integrated directly in to the tinycore.gz (initrd).   You can use this custom tinycore.gz for netbooting as well.   Depending on how many extensions you need you can also use ezremaster to integrate extensions into the initrd (the more extensions added there, the more memory needed.)

roberts:
Both tce directory and mydata.tgz need to be located on a writable storgage device and not in a read-only iso. Having either one or both will cause much grief as normal expected operations will fail. As they should.

Either use Rich's suggestion of an emulated disk, or ixbrian's suggestion of using ezremaster and place your needed extensions into initrd as well as any needed initial data files, (the mydata.tgz) that you referenced.

nim108:
Thanks all, will consider the suggestions posted, appreciate the prompt responses. I love how you can keep the main initrd (tinycore.gz or microcore.gz) untouched, and chainload the extensions and initial data files as a separate initrd ... genius architectural design. I will certainly make use of this when it's time to pxe boot. It makes sense that testing ISOs in VMware is not an ideal situation so instead, I will use an emulated disk in the future as Rich suggested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version