WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCL 4.02 installer with USB doesn't work for me.  (Read 7244 times)

Offline stevesr0

TCL 4.02 installer with USB doesn't work for me.
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
I followed the instructions for using the installer tool to install TCL 4.02 to a USB flash drive and it doesn't boot two machines I tried.

I successfully did this with an earlier 3x version of TCL, so this was disappointing.

The one machine displayed an error message to that it couldn't find an operating system.

When I look at the contents of the USB flash drive, I find boot, tce and lost and found directories.   

Inside of the boot directory are an extlinux directory, the tinycore.gz file and a vmlinux file.
Inside the tce directory is a mydata.tgz file.  The lost and found directory has no files inside it.

Anybody else have experience with the tc-install extension and TCL base 4.02 installing from a Live-CD to a USB flash drive?

Thanks

Steve

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TCL 4.02 installer with USB doesn't work for me.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
Hi stevesr0
Check the  /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf  file. Make sure the  KERNEL  line reads  /boot/vmlinux

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »
tc-install is an extension, so were you using multicore? Which USB install types did you select? (USB-HDD or USB-ZIP)?
Does your BIOS support that which was selected? If you type showbootcodes do you see waitusb=5 ?
If your hardware does not support USB-HDD or USB-ZIP then may try unetbootin. It is in the respository!
For anything trying to boot from usb you will need a waitusb=5 or perhaps even larger.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline stevesr0

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
To Rich -

"Check the  /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf  file. Make sure the  KERNEL  line reads  /boot/vmlinux"

Do you mean on the USB or the live CD from which I am doing the install?

I tried looking at the USB flash and up comes a password request.  Apparently, at some point, this flash drive is poisoned by encryption.

To roberts -

"tc-install is an extension, so were you using multicore? Which USB install types did you select? (USB-HDD or USB-ZIP)?
Does your BIOS support that which was selected? If you type showbootcodes do you see waitusb=5 ?
If your hardware does not support USB-HDD or USB-ZIP then may try unetbootin. It is in the respository!
For anything trying to boot from usb you will need a waitusb=5 or perhaps even larger."

I was using tinycore and downloaded the tc-install.tcz.  Followed the instructions and used USB-HDD.  BIOS apparently supports this (I think).  I added waitusb=5 during the install.  On one machine, I get a message that it can't find on OS, so I assumed that the USB was running and being looked at.

Apparently, the contents of the install on the USB drive look normal to you folks??

Thanks

Steve

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:19 AM »
The extlinux.conf would be on the usb drive.
If encrypted then try a different pendrive.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline stevesr0

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »
An uh-duh moment.

The installer didn't automatically make the drive bootable.

After I made the partition bootable, it worked.

Peculiarly, however, On the machine that I didn't use for the install, I couldn't connect to the repository with AppBrowser.  I will retry tomorrow.

Thanks.

Steve

Offline stevesr0

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »
After going to bed, realized I hadn't checked if the Ethernet cable was connected (I've been doing at lot of cable switching).

it wasn't!

I will report back, but that is the obvious reason the repository wouldn't connect.

So, the installer is probably working fine-other than not automatically setting partition as bootable.

Thanks.

Steve

Offline TinyFan

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:44 AM »
I had exactly the same problem as you had, with TC3.xx everything went well, but with 4.xx I had trouble to get it bootable, and believe it or not, I do also had no repository  available, if you still got that problem you can try to tce-load -wi mirrors and try different mirrors. One mistake I also made, was to select existing partition running the tce installer. Selecting whole disk will fix that. :)

I don't know if it's usefull, if not, sorry.

o/ cya