WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is tinycore(multicore) what i am looking for?  (Read 3288 times)

Offline bia

Is tinycore(multicore) what i am looking for?
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »
hi guys i have looking trought alot of distros... and i cant find a fast minimalistic distro that would satisfy my needs i have been told by few linux elders that i should try tinycore.

I am looking for a distro that wont have any extra packages/desktop just a plain terminal ... i want to have controll over every single bit and every single hertz of my hardware. I need system that is able to perform task like encoding,3d rendering,compressing with extreme speed and stability, is tinycore distro for me?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:34:14 PM by bia »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Is tinycore(multicore) what i am looking for?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »
That is a question only you can answer after you evaluate it.

Offline bia

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
That is a question only you can answer after you evaluate it.

well kind of a true... but testing and evaluating all the availible distros would take more time then writing my own system ...

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »
I am looking for a distro that wont have any extra packages/desktop just a plain terminal ... i want to have controll over every single bit and every single hertz of my hardware. I need system that is able to perform task like encoding,3d rendering,compressing with extreme speed and stability, is tinycore distro for me?

minimalistic: check
fast: check
no extra packages: check - if you consider X to be "extra packages", there is Micro Core.

I don't know how much control you want over all those individual bits and hertzes, but it gives me the control I want.

As for encoding and 3D rendering, check the repository for the apps you want to use.

Take the time to get to know Tiny Core - it will be time well spent.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline TinyFan

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:22:52 AM »
Stick with Micro core, this is the only distro so far that suits my needs, easy, fast, clean, awesome, total control without the bloat, You really should try this one out, burn multi-core on a CD next install micro core using the tc installer from the cd.
Multi core is a package which contains both micro and tiny core. And micro core is definitly what you are looking for.  ;)

I am a bit confused about you want to have terminal only and use 3D render software..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:25:42 AM by TinyFan »