WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tce=, restore=, home=, local=, ... is there different between them?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline nickispeaki

sorry for stupid question... but true is ?
what is differense?

Offline mikshaw

Re: tce=, restore=, home=, local=, ... is there different between them?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:39:35 AM »
Each one specifies a partition or directory that contains files for a unique purpose.

tce: a partition containing a directory called "tce", or a specific directory.  Here is where auto-loaded extensions go.  If you add a directory named "optional" inside that directory, you can put other extensions into it, which will not be auto-loaded but will be made quickly available from the appbrowser.

restore: the location of your backup file.  Without this option set the system will try to find the backup.  Specifying its location allows you to have multiple backup files, and it may speed up boot time slightly.

home: the location of a persistent /home directory

local: the location of a tclocal directory or mountable file.  This is a perstsent /usr/local directory.

Offline nickispeaki

Re: tce=, restore=, home=, local=, ... is there different between them?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »
my menu.lst

Code: [Select]
title ТÑнÑÐоÑеÐ?ÑнÑÐºÑ TinyCoreLinux 1.2, kernel 2.6.26
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/bzImage quiet tce=sda6 restore=sda6 local=sda6
initrd /boot/tinycore.gz

Offline thane

Didn't want to start a new thread for this.

I'm using mplayer to play .mov files, which generally works fine. However I've found that it's better to download the .mov file rather than play the url. A couple of times when I used Opera to download a large (several hundred M) .mov file it bombed TCL (box froze). My 4G memory stick supposedly has plenty of space available. I let Opera use either Desktop or its default download area (under Desktop) but I guess that isn't right? Either that or my stick has less space than I think it does (based on system stats in cpanel)?

edit: Would it bomb anything if I made a directory in /mnt/sda1 (maybe call it mydownloads or something) to store downloaded files (rather than using Desktop)?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:49:59 AM by thane »

Offline mikshaw

Depending on how it is downloaded, the size of your disk/stick may not help.  If  you open the URL directly from the browser (rather than using "save as"), the file will be downloaded to the browser's cache, which is typically in ram.  Once your ram is filled, your applications can no longer function.  Downloading the file to permanent storage before playing will always provide better results unless your RAM is much larger than the size of the file.

Offline thane

Looks like you're right, mikshaw. I created a directory on the memory stick (/mnt/sda1) and was able to download and play the file from there with no problem. I guess Desktop and Opera's default download area are both in RAM...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
By default /home/tc is in ram, therefore it follows the others do as well.
You could choose to use a persistent home.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline thane

I just have to be more aware of how TCL works. In general I'm very happy with it and it's become my main system for personal computing (still have to use Windows at the office...).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:25:03 PM by thane »