WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [TC4] modprobe : No such device  (Read 2624 times)

Offline AmatCoder

• AmatCoder Projects
[TC4] modprobe : No such device
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:56:48 AM »
Hi.

When I boot TC 4.0.2, I get following message:
modprobe: can't load module speedstep-ich (kernel/drivers/cpufreq/speedstep-ich.ko.gz): No such device

It always happens....with 'tc base norestore' and others boot codes.
Considering that I have a Pentium 4 (not mobile version) I would like to ask you some questions:

1) Why tc is trying to load a cpufreq module? As far as I remember, TC 3.8 did not.

2) It should be 'p4-clockmod' (in this case), isn't?

3) I tried to stop with 'blacklist=speedstep-ich' unsuccessfully...Can be done so?

I'm not worried about but curious. TinyCore is working great...
Regards.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:05:59 AM by AmatCoder »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: [TC4] modprobe : No such device
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »
1) Autodetection to save some power, new in 4.x

2) p4-clockmod was not in the Debian/Ubuntu loading script, I assume for a good reason

3) You can stop the autodetection by a remaster. Will see if we can do something about the errors.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
p4-clockmod was buggy for a long time and guess still it is in 3.0 kernel. It was lying changing frequency but in fact did nothing. So better to use acpi-cpufreq
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline AmatCoder

• AmatCoder Projects
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
1) Autodetection to save some power, new in 4.x

2) p4-clockmod was not in the Debian/Ubuntu loading script, I assume for a good reason

3) You can stop the autodetection by a remaster. Will see if we can do something about the errors.

Ok, it is all clear now.
I suppose that autodetection does not work fine...TC detect it as Mobile Pentium 4-M but it's a Desktop Pentium 4 (Northwood). Not SpeedStep technology here.

p4-clockmod was buggy for a long time and guess still it is in 3.0 kernel. It was lying changing frequency but in fact did nothing. So better to use acpi-cpufreq

I agree, but I have another question: Should TC load a frecuency scaling module for a desktop PC by default?

Thanks to both for the replies and great work!

Regards.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »

I agree, but I have another question: Should TC load a frecuency scaling module for a desktop PC by default?

Thanks to both for the replies and great work!

Regards.

Why not? Why to waste energy with a desktop? I have a home email/file/voip/etc server at home (CentOS 6, AMD 64-bit) and I'm using frequency scaling, HDD spin down, etc.

If you don't like, you can change governor to performance or userspace and set whatever you want.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:21:18 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline AmatCoder

• AmatCoder Projects
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
Why not? Why to waste energy with a desktop? I have a home email/file/voip/etc server at home (CentOS 6, AMD 64-bit) and I'm using, HDD spin down, etc.

If you don't like, you can change governor to performance or userspace and set whatever you want.

You may be right, but most distros does not load frequency scaling modules unless computer is a laptop. I suppose it is to avoid complaints about perfomance...

I guess they reverse your argument: If user wants frecuency scaling, he can load module and change governor...

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:43 AM »
Personally I'm happy with it in TC 4. ondemand governor is responding fast, faster then conservative. I do not see degradation of performance. In fact, it is invisible.
Béla