WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: International keyboard with dead keys for accents  (Read 2118 times)

Offline julianjm

International keyboard with dead keys for accents
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »
Hello,

I'm trying to use tinycore with a thinclient (eBox 3300MX), with Spanish keyboard.

I setup the keymap to qwerty/es, and i can write accented letters on the text console: á é í...

In X (both Xvesa and Xorg), I have the "es" layout. Some applications work correctly, while others doesn't:

* xterm, rdesktop: The accent key, instead of behaving like a dead key, directly prints an apostrophe. The result: ´a ´e ´i ´o
* gtk applications (scite, for example) work as expected. The first key press doesn't do anything, then pressing "a" produces á.
* xev seems to be detecting the keys correctly. The first key press appears as "Filtered: true", then the "a" key appears as á.

I've been fighing with this for a week, and can't find the reason xterm, and specially rdesktop don't work as expected.

Does anyone have a clue?

Julian J. M.

Offline meo

Re: International keyboard with dead keys for accents
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:34:01 AM »
Hola julianjm!

I think I'd better stick to English even if I'm Spanish speaking too. I don't have a real solution to the problem but a way around it that I've used. I have put letters that can't be typed in certain programs on a text file and just copy and paste. It's pretty easy if you have a three button mouse since you just have to highlight the letter on the text file and pasting it by pressing the middle button. I hope this at least can be of some use even if it's not a real solution.

Have fun with TC,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline julianjm

Re: International keyboard with dead keys for accents
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »
We've done more tests, and rdesktop seems to work when using the parameter "-k es".

As chromium and other applications seem to handle dead keys properly, it must be something to do with xterm. This will be a thinclient device, and the user won't be allowed to run anything that's not explicitly allowed (rdesktop + browser), so it's not an issue for now.

Thanks anyway!
Julian J. M.