Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

[SOLVED]Restore PB + Boot device choice

(1/1)

Daniel:
Hi.

I want to start TCL on usb key : sda, sdb ...

For that, i set a label to the usb key (TCL).

I try to do it with TCL 3.8.3 and 3.8.4.

But no restore is done.
And i have errors :
Invalid device specified. Ignoring persistant HOME request !
Invalid device specified. Skipping persistant OPT request !

Invalid device LABEL=TCL

with after "scanning hard disk partition to create /etc/fstab" line
--> drivers/hib/usbhid/hid-core.c: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed

My syslinux.cfg file:

--- Code: ---prompt 0
default live
console 0
label live
kernel /bzImage
append boot=/ tce=LABEL=TCL home=LABEL=TCL opt=LABEL=TCL restore=LABEL=TCL initrd=/tinycore.gz vga=789 max_loop=256 modeset=1 kmaps=fr-latin9 consoleblank=1 text quiet splash
--- End code ---

I tried with fat32 and ext3 fs, with or without other usb key (sda or sdb).

:'(

Thanks
Daniel.

maro:
If you want to boot from a USB key you will need to use a boot code like 'waitusb=30:LABEL=TCL' (as explained in the FAQ and several dozen times in this forum here, when users ignore to read the published advice).

My guess is that your issues are a consequence of the fact that it needs time for the USB device to be recognised by the OS. This time is for my devices typically 5 seconds, but specifying a higher value causes no harm, as the process will only wait as long as it takes to find the device with the requested LABEL (or UUID if that is used instead).

Two unrelated observations:
(1) The use of boot code 'max_loop=256' is not any more required (and according to the FAQ actually discouraged for TC 3.x and beyond).
(2) I trust you are aware of the need to adjust the backup file lists when using persistent home (and opt) as mentioned all over the wiki (like here, here, and here).

Daniel:
Thanks for the response!

I didn't write waitusb because i was running perfectly without before!

I set max_loop=256 because i need it!
Without, i have an error message ... (i will do test again with 3.8.4 or 4.0 version to see if it is always true).

I will use backup file.
By default, nothing was written on the syslinux command line. But as i need to start on a device whitch can be sda, sdb, ... i need to identify the boot device in order to restore the configuration.

D.

Rich:
Hi Daniel

--- Quote ---I didn't write waitusb because i was running perfectly without before!
--- End quote ---
Wrong, if it was running perfectly then it would still be running now. When you use the   waitusb   code
with an adequate wait time, then it will run perfectly. As maro pointed out

--- Quote ---but specifying a higher value causes no harm, as the process will only wait as long as it takes to find the device with the requested LABEL (or UUID if that is used instead).
--- End quote ---
there is nothing wrong with specifying 20 or 30 seconds here. Heed his advice.

If you are not using a label, don't try reducing the time until it fails to boot and then simply add one
to that time. The next time roberts or somebody else manages to speed up the boot process or
something happens to execute a little faster than normal while booting, it may fail again, and you'll
be back with a question about why your USB device is not being found or your apps are not loading.
Add 3 or 4 seconds and live with it. The only thing that could make this scenario worse would be a
decimal point for the time parameter.

Daniel:
The solution is with TCL 4.0:

--- Code: ---prompt 0
default live
console 0
label live
kernel /vmlinuz
append boot=/ waitusb=30:LABEL=TCL restore=LABEL=TCL initrd=/tinycore.gz vga=789 max_loop=256 modeset=1 kmap=fr-latin9 consoleblank=1 quiet splash

--- End code ---

I've actually dont test with 3.8.x TCL version, but i don't think there is any problem! :)

Rich, i confirm i was running as i needed!
but the needs have changed ...

Now, with this configuration, i can boot behind an USB HUB, beeing sdb or more ... with other sda boot usb key.
(with my material, i configure the TCL sdb first boot device as USB-KEY see in Bios, and internal usb key sda as second boot device USB-HDD see in Bios)

Thanks
Daniel.

[Edit]
Max-loop tests results soon ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version