WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: so fragile  (Read 2634 times)

Offline mfrna

so fragile
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:25:54 AM »
I'm having a hard time with tcl

after installation of my first program I noticed that wbar wasn't adding any icons

I had no problem with that,until yesterday I tried to fix that by linking wbar.tce and dot.wbar (I'm on windows xp right now ,I can't exactly remember the files) ,I refreshed wbar and all programs were there

after reboot I found no programs and screen resolution was missed up .. checked the drive to find that home and opt directories have weird files and tce directory can't be accessed at all

the same problem occurred before when I tried to edit file related to wbar (the same problem but without linking)

I'm installing a fresh copy right now and I'll try mkisofs this time to save some effort ::)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: so fragile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 07:32:40 AM »
it's just my opinion, but some modes are better for new users than others.

different new users have different skill levels, but some modes are very easy to use. for example, cloud tends to do exactly what you expect it to, and installing a tce is more likely to work the first time you use an extension, instead of tcz.

tcz's are easy to make from tce's, but they don't always convert properly the first time. often tcz's are later found to need a few adjustments before they're "perfect." but there are many advantages of using them you'll find as you get used to tc and to an extension.

the easiest persist to setup is ppr, and restore. i don't think new users should use ppi, again just my opinion. if you were using only cloud mode, or only ppr/tce, you'd probably find tc is an easier place to start learning how to make tc the right distro for you... but because you're using tce you probably won't be able to install every package you want from the beginning...

that's one reason tcz is great, it will let you do more, but it's sometimes better to try the tce first. but then i don't recommend tce-uninstall for new users either.