WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New User to Linux, need help with USB stick mode  (Read 1908 times)

Offline tmydosh

New User to Linux, need help with USB stick mode
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:00:29 AM »
Hello everyone. This looks like a great distro to use to learn Linux, but ...

I downloaded latest version to CD, put a new USB stick in, and booted system.

Reading the Quick and Easy Overview, it says "When you see the banner type "tinycore waitusb=10" without the quotes and his the enter key." When I do this I get an error message, so I think the instruction should read "type "tc waitusb=10", which is what I eventually tried. This boots the system to RAM, but then it says "Single click on the icon that looks like a file cabinet...".
Well I dont have this icon in my window bar. I assume this is because my USB stick is not formatted with a Linux filesystem. Further down in the instructions under  USB Stick Boot Mode it says  "Single click on the icon with a screwdriver displayed in it. When the Control Panel pops up, click the HD/USB Install button". There is no such button in that menu.

I am using version 3.8.2. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Offline borgbucolic

Re: New User to Linux, need help with USB stick mode
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »
I just did this recently. I used the multi-core ISO. If you using the other ISO, then I couldn't say.
Use the command "tci usbwait=10". Notice the "i". Then it worked fine for me.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:17:44 AM »
Hi tmydosh
You didn't do anything wrong. I updated some of the instructions and never had the guides web
page updated. Plus the graphics for some of the icons changed recently. Attached are revised
versions of steps 4 through 6.
If you want to view this file in a Windows environment, open it with wordpad, NOT notepad.
The install program may also have changed, if it has, the section bracketed by  ****  will no longer
be valid.

@roberts: If there is still interest in this guide let me know and I will submit a full update, otherwise
                it should be taken down.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:46:21 AM »
Rich, Since all of the installation tools have been removed from from the base and are now available as:

1. Extensions
2. Starter Packs
3. Available on MultiCore CD

It would be great to get an updated guide that covers all of the above options, or at least start with the use of MultiCore CD.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ru60hz

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:18:21 AM »
Hello everyone, just found tcl while searching for dsl and its amazingly great distro.
In my case, what i did was insert the usb stick, start the computer and when i see the
banner, press enter (just to see if it could automatically see my usb stick) and it work!
I'm using version 3.8.2 here. What a nice OS!

Thanks to Rich on the revised guide.