WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: software router setup assistance  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Tuftec

software router setup assistance
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:15:09 AM »
Hi,

I am looking for some guidance on how to setup some lightweight s/w running with TC to perform the functions of a lightweight router for 3G connections.

I need to create a s/w device on my small PC box to act as an internet connection point for another device that is connected to it be Ethernet (RJ45). I want both TC applications and the other connected devices to be able to share the same USB connected 3G internet connection.

I am not that skilled at the CLI level, so hopefully there is a nice simple package with a GUI that will enable this to all be set up relatively easily, including configuration for my preffered 3G network supplier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: software router setup assistance
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:24:44 AM »
Expecting that you have the the necessary tools to setup a workin 3G WAN connection and an Ethernet LAN connection I suggest Shorewall firewall. It can do all the job, including NAT (connection sharing), firewall filtering, port forwarding, traffic shaping, etc. One of the key benefits of Shorewall that really easy to configure via config text files. Well structured, well documented. You do not need GUI. Just doing the job. Give it a try.

http://shorewall.net/

Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."