WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Trying to get Multicore onto usb [Solved]  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Mr Green

• Use Linux done!
Trying to get Multicore onto usb [Solved]
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »
Wish to run Multicore from a usb stick, so tried to use unetbootin first but kept getting kernel panic...

So thought I would try installing by mounting to a loop device and copying over, easy enough

Do I need to use grub? or can I use syslinux to boot multicore?

My system has grub-pc installed and would prefer not to mess around with it [might break stuff!!]

Want to get multicore up and running on my atom pc could make a cool little server....

MrG

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:02:24 AM by Mr Green »
I like Linux :-)

Offline Guy

Re: Trying to get Multicore onto usb
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:56:42 AM »
Multicore contains both tinycore and microcore.

You can install tinycore or microcore.

You can use any bootloader, such as extlinux, grub4dos, grub legacy or grub2, etc.

Syslinux is designed for fat filesystems. Tinycore or microcore should be run on ext2, ext3 or ext4. Ext2 is ideal for usb drives.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:10 AM »
When installing on a usb drive, it is ideal to use UUID.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:uuid

This would be done automatically if you used install.gz, which is included in multicore.iso.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Mr Green

• Use Linux done!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
I am trying something a little risky, used Virtualbox to run Tiny Core [tci] then installed to usb drive ....

First attempt did not work so am going to try usbinstall via Virtualbox

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:46:29 PM by Mr Green »

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »
Well, I can confirm that installation of TC to a USB stick from inside a VBox VM (booted in my case with 'tinycore_3.7.1.iso', followed by a download of 'install.gz' and loading of the same via the System Panel 'Load Starter Pack') is feasible.

I just did a test with running tc-install and installed TC in an EXT2 file system on the entire device. My only problem was that I needed two attempts for the USB stick to be fully available inside the VM. Inbetween both attempts I installed the extension pack (for USB 2.0 support, which is probably not mandatory) and required a (proper) restart of VirtualBox after the USB driver installation on the host (i.e. WinXP in my case), which occured after I assigned the USB stick to the TC VM the first time around.

So this is not just a theoretical option, but might not be made easy due to USB device issues between the host OS and VBox.

Offline Mr Green

• Use Linux done!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
Did take me a while to get usb working in Virtualbox, added extension pack and made sure vboxusers is in groups.

My usb drive would not show up after that [bad fs] so may need to clean it up before I try again.

MrG

Offline Mr Green

• Use Linux done!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »
Well got usb install working used installer [USB-HDD] on boot I have no network which is odd as it works under Virtualbox.

EDIT my bad I forgot my connection on my desktop is wifi, am going to set up a machine connected to Ethernet so should work like a charm.

MrG
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:02:02 AM by Mr Green »