WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline whitelines2

Is this possible?
« on: July 02, 2011, 05:40:10 AM »
Hey.

I've been looking around for a very fast booting cli only linux distro. I think microcore fits the bill perfectly. I just have a couple of questions.

I want to have it on a usb stick, plug into laptop, it starts automatically and simply runs a single script. The script is basically just a dd command. But two issues:

1) How can i actually get it installed correctly on a usb stick with file persistence. I have tried using syslinux to boot it but i do not know the correct config settings for syslinux for this distro.

2)I'd like to skip the boot menu and just have it load directly to a root user, is that possible? Please give me an example syslinux.cfg if you can.

Thanks!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 05:48:55 AM »
1) How can i actually get it installed correctly on a usb stick with file persistence. I have tried using syslinux to boot it but i do not know the correct config settings for syslinux for this distro.

You can use the gui installer to install to a usb stick - see the wiki for how to use it.

Otherwise, something like this will do the trick:
Code: [Select]
label microcore
kernel /boot/bzImage
append initrd=/boot/microcore.gz quiet noswap tce=UUID=aaab6273-4a6c-4118-8eb2-e31a9b31edb3 waitusb=10:UUID=aaab6273-4a6c-4118-8eb2-e31a9b31edb3

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »
If you download the multicore iso, and use the automatic installer it will be set up automatically (you can modify it if you want).

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_usb

You may experience filesystem corruption if used on a fat filesystem. It is ideal to use the ext2 filesystem with extlinux.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline whitelines2

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the very fast replies, i'll try and post back what happens.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:10:08 AM by whitelines2 »

Offline whitelines2

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:16:29 AM »
The wiki says to boot with installer type 'tci' at boot prompt, however it tells me 'could not find kernel image: tci'

So that's weird right? I'm using virtual box to boot tinycore, the latest version.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:19:58 AM by whitelines2 »

Offline Guy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 06:23:09 AM »
If you use the multicore cd, that is how it is done.

If you are using tinycore download install.gz.

Copy install.gz to the tce directory (not /tce/optional). Restart the computer for it to be loaded.

install.gz can also be loaded from any directory by opening the Control Panel, then clicking Load Starter Pack.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline whitelines2

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Ok so almost there i think but slight hitch, please see screenshot:

http://i55.tinypic.com/149ma14.jpg

I mounted the usb device, it is called sda as shown by fdisk -l. I ran the tc install wizard, selected usb-hdd, microcore, selected sda then ext2 format.

Then on boot options i just chose 'superuser, nodhcp, noicons vga=792' and clicked proceed. But it gives me that error...

Please help!

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:59 AM »
The destination drive should be unmounted.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline whitelines2

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
OK i think its working now :) It said installation complete, however it couldn't find bzImage so i just manually put it in the same directory as microcore.gz on the usb stick. I booted and it worked, straight to superuser mode and at the vga settings i wanted :)

But i notice

"pci: no compatible bridge window for...." message at the top, is that anything to be concerned about?

These were my options during install:

superuser noicons nodhcp vga=792

Any option to get rid of the banner image just as it is booting up? Not a big deal but i like it to be all text... Should i set persistence options so it keeps files and changes i make or can i just leave it be.

It boots fast. Great disto.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:02:40 AM by whitelines2 »