Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

rt19 extensions

(1/1)

andrewb:
Searching through the repository I noticed quite a few extensions with the suffix "rt19". There doesn't appear to be any difference in the info files, other than dates - often the rt19 version being newer.

A google search informed me that rt19 indicated a real-time kernel.

Two questions / comments:

1) Does it matter if the rt19 version is used on the standard kernel?

2) If there is a difference then some information should be prominent in the info file for the extension. If there is no difference when used on a standard (non-rt) kernel, is there a need for both versions in the repository?

Arslan S.:
they are only for rt kernel, see
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9108.0

andrewb:
OK. In that case it should say so explicitly in the info file, or perhaps a sub-repository should be set up for them.

Searching the forums reveals only two topics with rt19 in them (apart from this one). Thus it is not really obvious what the rt19 stands for & as the affected extensions usually show the rt19 version to be the latest by date many people may assume that that is the preferred version as there is no information readily available to the contrary.

curaga:
Usually one doesn't need to manually get module extensions, the respective apps needing them would grab the right version for you.

andrewb:
I recently had to download  some extensions individually which had rt19 versions also available (hence why I cam across the problem (e.g. filesystems & hwmon) these were required to provide functionality required to get other programs working with my hardware. It may be that I had to download them separately as they were not correctly listed as dependencies or they may have been optional dependencies.

There is no harm in correctly annotating the info files - same probably goes for the 64bit extensions, though they will obviously cause greater problems if attempts are made to use them inappropriately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version