WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Keyboard Mapping Issue: SHIFT + F1 and SHIFT + F2 Not Mapped Correctly  (Read 4926 times)

Offline mtc

I am using Tinycore 3.6. I rdesktop into Windows 2008 R2 Server. One of my programs uses SHIFT + F1 and SHIFT + F2 to perform certain tasks. These tasks do not work.

I downloaded Keycodes from http://delphiforfun.org/programs/utilities/KeyCodes.htm and saved it on my server.

I connect to the server using rdesktop in Tiny Core as the client and run Keycodes to check the mapping.  SHIFT + F1 is mapped as SHIFT + F11 and SHIFT + F2  is mapped as SHIFT + F12. These are the only two key mappings that I can find wrong. SHIFT + F3 is mapped as SHIFT + F3, etc.

When I use Windows Remote Desktop Connection connected into the server, I have no issue with key mappings and everything works as it should.

Linux keymap= us
rdesktop keymap=en-us

I am thinking the keyboard mapping is wrong in rdesktop or TinyCore.

I need to figure out how to map these correctly. Any help is appreciated! Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:00:33 PM by mtc »

Offline mtc

After trying out rdesktop on various other Linux distros today, I have found this issue only with TinyCore.

When I rdesktop into my server from these other distros, the keys are correctly mapped as SHIFT + F1 and SHIFT + F2 and not SHIFT + F11 and SHIFT + F12. This leads me to believe that the issue is within the key mapping that Tiny Core uses. Can somebody help me fix this? Thank you.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
You could try Xorg, as it uses a different set of keymaps.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline mtc

Thanks for the reply. I am trying xorg 7.5.

I started over with a new build of 3.6. I installed xorg-7.5 from appbrowser. Now when I boot, I get the command prompt and not X. I am using a Dell GX280 with Intel video and chipset.

I ran xorg -configure and moved xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I deleted xorg.conf.vesa. I verified that the video is set to use "intel" instead of "vesa". I tried adding "nomodeset", "nomodeset=0", and nomodeset=1" to grub menu.lst. But, nothing seems to work for me.

Is there something else that I have not found yet that I need to do in order to get xorg to work correctly? Thanks.

EDIT: I also have a Virtual Machine running within Virtual PC 2007 on a different PC. I installed 3.6 and xorg through appbrowser just as I did on the physical GX280. It booted right into X without any configuration changes. I connected to my server using rdesktop. I ran Keycodes and the keys were correct. Just to make sure xorg solved the problem, I rebuilt 3.6 again on the virtual pc without installing xorg. My keymapping issue was there. Now I just need to get the physical GX280 to load xorg and I think Im good.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:56:50 AM by mtc »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Do make sure you use KMS with 7.5. Only the older drivers in 7.4 work with nomodeset. Check that the graphics- extension is loaded.

Note that using vesa should not deter anything, as it would not be a downgrade from Xvesa.

Offline mtc

How do I use KMS? Google and forum searching does not give a clear answer.

What is the "graphics- extension" and where can I load it?

Thank you.

Offline maro

What is the "graphics- extension" and where can I load it?
Thank you.

What curaga is refering to is an extension with some kernel modules that is specific to the version of the kernel you are using (e.g. 'graphics-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz' if using the 32-bit kernel). IMHO the best way to install the correct one is to execute:
    tce-load -wi graphics-$(uname -r)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Boot to text mode, and load the extension as shown in maro's post. Your graphics mode should change to the best resolution, you're now using KMS.

Offline mtc

Thanks for the clarification. I ran the "graphics" command from maro and I was already running it on my GX280.

So far xorg has solved my key mapping problem and is working with no issues. Though, I may continue to tweak it and ask questions. But thats for another thread.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.  :)

Offline mtc

I have been thinking about this all day and I wanted to ask you guys.

Is it possible to use the xorg keyboard mapping with the xvesa that comes with TinyCore? Thanks.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
No, not possible.