Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

wifi.tcz

<< < (2/2)

maro:

--- Quote from: hiro on June 21, 2011, 08:30:52 AM ---What's the reason for using two config files? Easier backup? Or because wpa_supplicant.conf is too complicated? Sorry if this question may seem a bit dumb :D

--- End quote ---
The two files have different functions:

* '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' is a runtime configuration file (for a single interface),
* '~/wifi.db' is a (very simplistic) "database" holding the passphrases of previously used wireless access points.The former should be generated freshly every time before an interface attaches to an AP, the latter should be kept for the next time around (hence it is located in the home directory which is included in the backup and should therefore "survive" the next reboot).

Come to think of it (and as an add-on to the OP):

* (7) For the (further) future it would be good if 'wifi'sh' would be able to support multiple wireless interfaces. This then would obviously require potentially multiple 'wpa_supplicant.conf' files, which would require an appropriate renaming of them. Whilst multiple wireless interfaces in a single system might not be the norm (I can have up to three different ones in one notebook, albeit I've only used such a configuration for test purposes), it costs nothing to include the interface name in the configuration file name.

hiro:
> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' is a runtime configuration file (for a single interface),
No.

roberts:
it is as deployed in my script!

gerald_clark:
I use wep, and "wifi.sh auto" it does not work for me.
It sets the ESSID on eth0 to the wrong value ( not the one in wifi.db ).
If I run it a second time, it finds the ESSID and sets it correctly and finds the access point, but it still does not get a dhcp address.
If I runit a third time, an IP address is assigned.

I am awk rusty, and the intemittant results make it difficult for me to troubleshoot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version