WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Prepack index  (Read 21034 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Prepack index
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
I don't think you would want to combine extensions as that would surely break any update capability.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
I don't think an index will be necessary as their scope is quite targeted and therefore will be obvious.
I have renamed them from generic prepacks to starter packs as it better conveys intended use.
Their genesis was in response to difficult initial network setup. Other distributions also offer such.

Offline genec

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
Has there been thought to include select starter packs (especially the nettools starter pack) into the TC ISO?  perhaps a second ISO that has the starter pack?  All Syslinux variants have no issue with loading multiple independent files as initrd files (I use this all the time).  Default the boot to no nettools but mention it in boot/isolinux/boot.msg and perhaps make it an easy to type LABEL like "tcn".  This would be a great ready-to-use solution for those that have wireless-only or problematic wired network cards (ie firmware) in order to get online and fetch other regular extensions.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
Acknowledged as was previous posted here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9586.0

Let's cross that bridge once the bridge is built. I want to have some testing on content before such would be considered to embedded in an iso.

Look for updates to wireless and firmware, nettools.gz, soon. I also think that v3.7rc should be out and tested before the dust will settle and final decisions be made on starter packs in combination with the release of 3.7.