WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: nvidia driver 185.18.31 how (SOLVED)  (Read 32303 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: nvidia driver 185.18.31 how
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 04:14:33 AM »
On my system the intel-agp module is loaded because I have an intel graphics chip. On your system, I believe you should load the nvidia-agp module, no? You also would need the drm module to be loaded.

Note that you also need to load the hwmon-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcem extension as one (some?) of the i2c modules are required by either the agp, nvidia-agp or drm modules.

Offline stoic

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »
Success!!!

A google search turned up this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=380788 thread which describes the same problem we were having.

The problem is that the nvidia driver compiles its own version of libglx which conflicts with the one Xorg has been compiled against. X panics when it can't find its version.

The solution is to revert to the tiny core supplied libglx. Tiny core makes this very easy - I followed the instructions to create a tiny core package, removing the references to the new libglx at the appropriate point so it wasn't included in my package, rebooted, installed my new package, ran nvidia-xconfig and when I started X it was using the nvidia driver (with XVideo). Hooray.

I've uploaded the package (after modifying the file locations to keep everything within /usr/local in keeping with tiny core policy) to [removed] ~12MB if you want to try it.

[^thehatsrule^: please see extension submission guidelines]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:24:38 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline pimboli

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 08:58:14 AM »
wow !!!

respect!!! I tested the driver it works :)

You are my hero of the day  ;D

Offline stoic

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 03:03:11 PM »
Really glad to hear it worked.
I don't know if you can edit your original post to add [SOLVED] to the title, but that seems to be what all the cool kids are doing.

By the way, what machine have you got with Ion inside? I thought there was only one netbook released with it so far. If its that how is it? I was thinking of getting something similar.

Offline pimboli

Re: nvidia driver 185.18.31 how (SOLVED)
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 12:52:03 AM »
I have a ZOTAC ION ITX B Board, its a mini-itx that I uses as multimedia player @ home.

With the nvidia gfx driver I can watch HD content on this atom based board. It's really a good board, now where tinycore works perfectly ;)

Offline jls

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 01:49:43 AM »
I don't see the nvidia extension in the repo.
dCore user

Offline stoic

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
I don't see the nvidia extension in the repo.

I had posted a link to the extension I created in my above post, but it has been removed.
I assume ^thehatsrule^ removed it as tiny core has no permission from nvidia to redistribute binary versions of the driver. (It would have been nice for ^thehatsrule^ to explicitly state the violated rule.) If that was the reason it would prevent the driver being accepted into the repository if it were to be submitted.

There should be no problems with anyone who wanted the nvidia driver following my terse instructions above to create one though. (It might even be possible to create a script (a la getflash.sh) to generate the extension for people automatically - but I would need to do a little research to make that happen.)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
Nvidia only allows distribution with completely unmodified contents - adding compiled kernel modules or shuffling files around wouldn't be allowed, by my understanding. However the link was removed because of the extension guidelines, as hats stated in the edit (in short: no links to extensions allowed, please email them).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline stoic

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 04:21:26 PM »
the link was removed because of the extension guidelines, [...] (in short: no links to extensions allowed, please email them).

According to the Guidelines for extension submission (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=330.msg1993#msg1993) submissions should be emailed.
I did not intend my post as a submission to the Tiny Core repository, merely a convenience for another forum member.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »
stoic: see further down that thread.

curaga: actually, there is some indications that they allow it.  The main problem comes from kernel/gpl stuff, but currently the repository allows it (assumes the vendor is right)

Offline tcluser07

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »
stoic,

as you said both Xorg and Nvidia driver require libglx.so (but different versions).
(1) If I use the one required by Nvidia X won't start because Xorg does not find the required version of libglx.so.
(2) If I use the one required by Xorg X does also not start, because Nvidia is missing the correct libglx.so (according to the Xorg log file).

Therefore I was not successful in getting the Nvidia driver running by removing the libglx.so and libglx.so.91... from the own built Nvidia driver TCE package.

I would be thankful for any hint concerning the solution for the problem "1 file (libglx.so) required by 2 programs (Xorg and Nvidia driver) but each requires a different version".

thx

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:54 AM »
I successfully installed nvidia proprietary drivers for my 9500M GS and i'd like to share my experience during installation.

1-) download linux drivers package for your hardware from nvidia.com
2-) install linux-headers from tiny core repository
3-) exit to prompt
4-) sudo sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-x.y.z.pkgX.run
5-) accept the license
6-) depending on the version of the driver installer package it will ask whether to download a precompiled kernel interface just skip this
7-) now it should build the kernel interface for tiny core to link kernel module with tiny core kernel
8-) after build complete it installs kernel module with some other libraries and documentation, most important ones:

/usr/local/lib/X11/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
   /usr/local/lib/X11/modules/libnvidia-wfb.so.x.y.z and
   /usr/local/lib/X11/modules/libnvidia-wfb.so.x -> libnvidia-wfb.so.x.y.z

/usr/local/lib/X11/modules/extensions/libglx.so.x.y.z
    /usr/local/lib/X11/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> libglx.so.x.y.z

/usr/lib/libGL.so.x.y.z
    /usr/lib/libGL.so.x -> libGL.so.x.y.z
    /usr/lib/libGL.so -> libGL.so.x

/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.x.y.z
    /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.x -> libGLcore.so.x.y.z

/usr/lib/libcuda.so.x.y.z
    /usr/lib/libcuda.so -> libcuda.so.x.y.z

/usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z
   /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.x -> libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z
   /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z
   /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.x -> libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z

/lib/modules/2.6.29.1-tinycore/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

-if you delete one of these files you will end up with an improper installation definetly. In this thread people mentioned that deleting libglx and libGL libraries provided by nvidia and reverting back to original ones from xorg extension but in this way you will have no hardware 3D

9-) installer runs some tests in background, in my case i had the problem here:
 -> Running runtime sanity check:
ERROR: The runtime configuration check failed for the library
       'libnvidia-tls.so.190.42' (expected: '/usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1',
       found: '/usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1').  The most likely reason for this
       is that conflicting OpenGL libraries are installed in a location not
       inspected by `nvidia-installer`.  Please be sure you have uninstalled
       any third-party OpenGL and/or third-party graphics driver packages.
-> done.
-> Runtime sanity check failed.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

10-) actually installation is complete just you can't start x server right now with the nvidia proprietary driver, after configuring xorg.conf for the new driver when i tried to startx i had black screen with computer not responding anything needing a button reset

11-) As you can see from the installed libraries by the nvidia installer you can see that there are two libnvidia-tls installed.
The reason why there are two library with same name:

From nvidia linux driver README http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.36/README/index.html:
The nvidia-tls libraries (/usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z and /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z); these files provide thread local storage support for the NVIDIA OpenGL libraries (libGL, libGLcore, and libglx). Each nvidia-tls library provides support for a particular thread local storage model (such as ELF TLS), and the one appropriate for your system will be loaded at run time.

- From this passage i understand that one of them is not necessary for my system(for tinycore ?) and it is the one in /usr/lib
so i removed libnvidia-tls.so* files from /usr/lib thus  libGL libraries links to the correct one in /usr/lib/tls directory

12-)  Run nvidia-xconfig with sudo
(you need a working configured xorg.conf here, nvidia-xconfig just changes device section
if you don't have a conf file you can create one with Xorg -configure command and put the created file to /etc/X11 naming it as xorg.conf)

13-) Run ldconfig and depmod as root then startx
14-) Run glxgears to test, you should have at least a few thousand fps, my 9500M GS had 6k fps. it was 200 fps with open source nv driver

-if you have segmentation fault when trying to run glxgears then it means linked libraries are not correct
type ldd `which glxgears` , you should have:

Code: [Select]
        ldd `which glxgears`   
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7f09000)
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb7e44000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7e1e000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7cc1000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7bc1000)
        libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0xb6b52000)
        libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0xb6b50000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb6b43000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb6b3f000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f0a000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb6b3c000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb6b36000)

-This will be gone if you reboot :D so to make it persistent i suggest to make a personal extension(i can submit extensions if it is not illegal after i make sure i do everything correct) or maybe two for kernel module and libraries, for example nvidia.tczl and nvidia.tczm and we must make sure nvidia OpenGL libraries overwrites Xorg ones. since Xorg has capital initial letter i think it will be loaded then nvidia will be loaded so we should have no problem.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 08:37:04 AM »
nvidia is distributalbe.

And if you need parts of the nvidia extension to overwrite parts of Xorg, the startup script could be used to copy or untar the files to the system and they will overwrite Xorg files of the same name and Xorg will not overwrite those files, regardless of extension load order.

Offline trishtren18

• Can't get enough of linux!
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 09:04:10 AM »
awesome thanks.  makes tinycore even more viable to all us gamers out their.
unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; unmount; sleep  - my daily unix command list

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2009, 04:25:21 AM »
Hey, owners of Ati R100-R500 (Radeon 9xxx - Radeon X1xxx) cards can already have their gaming dose with just the Xorg extension ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.