Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

[Solved] MC 11.1 x86 sleeps after 30 days uptime

<< < (2/3) > >>

Santos:
Thank you for your answers.

So far after reading your responses I think that  microcore  does not have some kind of "hibernation" mode that needs to be looked at. It gives me peace of mind so I don't have to reconfigure it.

--- Quote from: gadget42 on November 06, 2021, 02:01:25 AM ---refreshed my memory regarding the T42 by visiting:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/4052/ibms-thinkpad-t42-lcd-a-blast-from-the-past

notes/thoughts to add to Rich's:
the unit has reached the age where board-level components become unreliable and prone to random failures/glitches/etc.
(have experienced this with desktops, laptops, all-in-ones, as well as various peripherals. both PCs and MACs, some dating back to mid-1980s)

and even the newer stuff fails due to prior owner abuse, cold solder connections finally failing intermittently, environmental factors(humidity/temperature/condensation/etc)

sometimes just a good cleaning/vacuuming, some plastic-safe contact-cleaner, and a few unplugging-and-replugging cycles of all possible connections will do the trick.

good luck!

--- End quote ---

Thank you.  :)

It's really sad for me to see such a marvelous device to go to waste. I think computers are one of the best things humanity have come up with, it's so incredible the power it give us. But everything has to come to an end. So hopefully some last precautions can extend it's working life span for a couple of months.

--- Quote from: PDP-8 on November 06, 2021, 05:01:01 PM ---Hm..  not sure if usbcore is compiled into the TC kernel.

If so, perhaps this kernel parameter could be passed

--- Code: ---usbcore.autosuspend=-1
--- End code ---

I've used this elsewhere on some substandard / aging hardware.  Not absolutely sure usbcore is in TC though...

--- End quote ---

Thank you PDP-8, I'll definitely will be checking it out on the next reboot cycle.

Besides this, any advice on how to lower UDMA or some kind of safe throttling?

Rich:
Hi Santos

--- Quote from: Santos on November 12, 2021, 09:02:42 PM --- ... Besides this, any advice on how to lower UDMA or some kind of safe throttling?
--- End quote ---
You could try this boot code which turns off all disc DMA:

--- Code: ---libata.dma=0
--- End code ---
Found here:
https://mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt#2017

Or you could try changing the transfer mode:

--- Code: ---libata.force=udma66
--- End code ---
or:

--- Code: ---libata.force=pio4
--- End code ---
Found here:
https://mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt#2033

After the machine boots, verify the drive is running at a slower speed in dmesg.

Santos:
Thank you, I'll be doing some tests with different values and have the computer on for a couple of days. I'll be reporting back in a week or so. Wish me luck. :)

Rich:
Hi Santos
Good luck.

Santos:
Hello, after a month I'm comming back to post this update.

Tried:

--- Code: ---libata.dma=0
libata.force=udma66
libata.force=pio4

--- End code ---

The most succesful one was  libata.dma=0  , the other two were too heavy on my cheap adaptor. It seams to turn it off completely works better than forcing a particular option.

With  libata.dma=0  I was getting a max write of 3 Mbps and read of 5 Mpbs, was usable and it avoided my computer from choke with my special set up. With the other two options the read and write speeds were in the Kbps range, painfully slow.

All options worked and succesfully allowed my little laptop from freezing. Plus a deep cleaning was done on it, there was some gel-like stuff on the mother board from a protective coat on the wifi card.

Max  uptime  was 43 days before I reboot it again to clean it.

Thank you all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version