WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: fbv viewer crash on x86_64  (Read 1785 times)

Offline PDP-8

fbv viewer crash on x86_64
« on: October 31, 2021, 12:14:08 AM »
Environment: TinyCorePure64 X86_64 V12.0

Video driver: only Xfbdev
standard fltk/flwm toolkit and window manager

Symptom: trying to view a png image, such as a screenshot taken by the standard utility included with the default package, results in a something being shown behind aterm when invoked from the terminal.  But seems corrupted and mostly unviewable.

How I noticed:  Installed the fbv viewer and no icon for it appears in the wbar.  I *think* it used to have an icon.

Invoked fbv manually inside an Aterm window to look at a png screenshot, and something appears behind the Aterm window itself but is not usable.

Conspiracy thought:  perhaps being solely in Xfbdev framebuffer, and the Netsurf browser crashing when running in framebuffer mode upon loading png images from the TC forum itself is also related?  Not sure.

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: fbv viewer crash on x86_64
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 02:14:33 AM »
Isn't fbv a command-line viewer? The framebuffer can only have one app controlling it at a time, if you're running Xfbdev, they would conflict.

ie. use fbv from the command line, in framebuffer mode, when X is not running. Under X you should use X image viewers.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »
Hi Curaga!  Thanks for the tip.  Memory eluded me on it being invoked from a terminal only.

However, I'm a bit confused now.  This is my onboot.lst that I'm running this particular setup with:

Code: [Select]
Xfbdev.tcz
fltk-full.tcz
flwm.tcz
aterm.tcz
wbar.tcz
netsurf.tcz
Xprogs.tcz

So are you saying that fbv should be invoked from something like a virtual-terminal?  I tried that, but no go.

From within Aterm itself, using fbv on a png screenshot, puts something /behind/ the Aterm window, which cannot be moved.  If you move Aterm, what's underneath follows it.  If you close Aterm, then whatever is behind it is closed too.

Using fbv with no arguments (or with --help) reveals the options one can use.

Perhaps I don't know which flags to use properly, so I'll study that.  I do know that something like this invoked inside aterm

Code: [Select]
fbv screenshot_1030233718.png
simply brings something /underneath/ Aterm anchored to its own movements so you can't slide aterm out of the way to see it.

I'll keep looking for what's amiss on my end..

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 02:15:58 PM »
Hi PDP-8
ie. use fbv from the command line, in framebuffer mode, when X is not running. Under X you should use X image viewers.
If X is using the frame buffer (Xfbdev), then you can't use applications that rely on the frame buffer (fbv).

Maybe try  gpicview.tcz  for this situation?

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 06:48:01 PM »
You are right of course.  I was confusing things, and hopefully not leading others astray.

I have to think back to the days when I was totally commandline, and using imagemagick in the gui mode on the framebuffer.

Yep needed that reminder.  Whatever you call it, be it Xvesa, Xfbdev, or Xorg, if you are using that, it is still X running the show and of course fbv won't work there.