dCore Import Debian Packages to Mountable SCE extensions > dCore x86_64

Kernel not recognizing LVM-volumes

(1/1)

sm8ps:
Hello again!

I have been trying to set-up dCore Focal on a laptop where some protected data is enclosed in a LUKS/LVM-container. After jumping through some hoops, I got LVM to find its volumes via 'lvs'. However, the kernel does not reproduce them under '/dev/mapper' or anywhere else. I have the following extensions loaded:

--- Code: ---wireless
raid-dm-5.4.3-tinycore64
truecrypt-dep
mdadm
lvm2
--- End code ---
Without the wireless extensions there are quite some packages missing like liblz4, something like gcrypt and possible some more. The RAID extension is necessary to provide the dm_mod kernel module as per the forum thread kernel device-mapper driver(http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16127.15.html). I threw in the Truecrypt, Mdadm packages in the hope that they might solve the problem but this was not the case.

dCore still is a fascinating marvel in the Linuxiverse. Cheers!

Rich:
Hi sm8ps
Did you compare the list that Jason W attached here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16127.msg101211.html#msg101211
to what you have installed?

These in particular stand out:

--- Code: ---fuse-utils:
dmsetup:
libudev0:
libdevmapper-event1.02.1:
libdevmapper1.02.1:
coreutils:
util-linux:
libudev1:
libacl1:
udev:
libblkid1:
libuuid1:
libmount1:
mount:
libfuse2:
fuse:
libssh-4:
--- End code ---

sm8ps:
Thanks for your suggestion, Rich! I did notice there was a list but had not inspected it. Now I simply made an extension of the full list and had it loaded at boot-time. There is no difference in behavior, though. I issued a magic 'udevadm trigger' but that did not change anything either.
For completeness: '/dev/mapper/' exists but only contains

--- Code: ---crw-------  1 root root 10, 236 Jun 24 16:08 control
--- End code ---

sm8ps:
As usual, the error was on my side.  :) The following steps are necessary to use LVM-volumes on dCore-bionic:

* sce-load lvm2. On its own, it is not functional as it is missing dependencies like liblz4 etc.
* sce-load wireless. Provides the missing dependencies.
* sce-load raid-dm-<KERNEL>-tinycore64. Provides and loads the dm_mod kernel module.
* vgchange -aySteps 1-2 give a functional set of LVM-tools. Step 3 introduces device mapper. However, it does not automatically activate the LVM-volumes as I had expected. This needs to be done manually as in step 4.

This is a bit a work-around rather than a fully automated set-up. Especially step 2 is not very intuitive and could be replaced by a dependency to lvm2. Though, as long as I am the only one using it or, respectively, others using it are happy with this approach, it is quite alright. Together with cryptsetup, things are working as I had hoped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version