Off-Topic > Off-Topic - Tiny Tux's Corner

Linux and Smartphones OS

(1/7) > >>

Pats:
Why linux community is not much interested in developing Mobile OS , the way they have provoded robust alternatives to Windoze ?
.. Though Android may be an OpenSource project but most of its apps are proprietary .
.. 1 ) Tizen is completely open-source and truly linux based with active support from Linux Foundation , but due to lack of App Developers support , mobile users have lost intetst , but still ticking.
.. 2 ) Ubuntu Touch is in initial stages with only Chinease Meizu and a Spanish company showing some interest.
.. 3 ) KDE has shown some interest in 'Plasma Mobile' OS with integration of present KDE apps , but except Nexus5 phones it is nowhere.
.. 4 ) Post Market OS based on Alpine linux may do to old phones which initial linux systems did for old XT,  P1 , P2 etc desktop computers - new lease of life !
.. 5 ) A few other experiments like eelo , LineageOS , Sailfish which is an extension project of prvs Meego of Nokia , Firefox based cheaper smartphones etc are in very primary stages which may or may not see the market attention .

.. Now the question is , why different linux developers including *TinyCore are not taking much interest to extend their desktop based expertize and enthusiasm - to develop Mobile opetating systems and / or apps ?

Or am I missing some recent developments on this front ? .. :)

Misalf:
I think the question is not only who will benefit from something like that but also who is interested and willing to work on it. I've played with smart phones and, well, I don't like android and the like and my 10 years old nokia still works fine. If you can throw TinyCore at a smart phone so that it sticks, go ahead! I'd love to see that.

itsjann:
I guess the process will take too long, and I am honestly not that sure if it will worth it just like what @Misalf said.

Pats:
@Misalf, @itsjaan Thannks !
...I am just a layman and no spare hardware to experiment with... so wo'nt be able to experiment with linux-on-smartphone !
Secondly I am more used to Tinycorelinux ,  so will be happy if somehow TCL is available on smartphone with full functions ! Am little-bit greedy ! .. :)

... But search on net says something like following steps :
 1. Busybox libs installation on a rooted smartphone with plenty of RAM and disk-space.
2. Terminal installation and if successful then downloads of  Ubuntu with required scripts.
3 . Running the scripts as per instruction which results in an Ubuntu system on mobile with just basic functionality.

.. Some says ,  there is a 'CLI' - Complete Linux Installer on Ggl Play which can help to install many distros like openSuse , Debian , Fedora etc.

Again Tinycore is the Best  , if available ! .. :)

lm8:
I'm very interested in the possibility of porting Open Source applications I use to a mobile device.  I do know of some other  developers with similar interests in mobile development.  I think one of the problems might be that there's not an organized Open Source-centered effort that's interested in volunteers.  I've checked into several Open Source groups that are working on mobile projects and some even ask for volunteers, but I really didn't get the feeling volunteers were all that welcome.  I even wrote to the GNU Foundation and commented on their policy toward mobile as described at their web site and asked them about the possibility of organizing some Open Projects projects (such as attempting to continue the work to use the GNU compiler with Android since Google appears to be moving toward llvm).  They never even bothered to answer my e-mail.  Eelo was also mentioned.  Also wrote to them with no response to my inquiry.  Sometimes Open Source works best with the concept that if you want something done right, do it yourself.  I've been porting Open Source applications that I personally like and that I will use to systems like Android.  I'm doing it for myself because no one else seems interested.  If there was a place that was open to sharing that type of work, I'd be happy to get involved.  (I did do some investigation into projects like F-Droid and Termux.)  While there is a lot of Open Source being used in the mobile market, many of the people involved seem to be interested in it primarily for commercial concerns or to promote their work and market themselves.  It makes it very difficult for someone with a hobbyist or enthusiast mentality, who's doing it for non-commercial reasons, to get involved in any kind of group effort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version