WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: adding new programms to compiletc  (Read 17431 times)

Offline c-coder

Re: adding new programms to compiletc
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »
Compiling glibc totally in RAM on a system with 1GB memory and no swap ground it to a halt.  The solution of course is to use storage media to untar and build on and use tclocal or tcz's.  I rarely do anything totally in RAM except on the above mentioned1GB Windows only machine I sometimes have use of that has no working usb ports.

If enabling swap and mounting storage media would prevent tcl to freeze why doesnt tcl automount and enable the needed partition at the boot process.

On the machine where tcl is booting i have a plenty of swap and partition space.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 01:37:27 PM »
I believe TC does enable any possible swap partitions (and certain dos swap files) automatically at boot, if detected (and hw configured).  If you have to load some extra modules out of the base/remaster, you'll probably have to manually enable the swap after.

As for data space, it is up to the user how to manage it.

Offline c-coder

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
I'll look at making a separate svn extension - I've downloaded the tarballs, now I just have to find the time to compile them

Hello Juanito.

Thank you for the SVN Extension.
I have just now downloaded and installed the extension.
Does SVN Works for you on your PC Mashine.

I am getting allways the error Message "Unrecognized URL Sheme ..." if i try to download a repo with svn.
I have searched a litlle the Internet for this Problem and found this here.
http://azimbabu.blogspot.com/2008/07/using-svn-and-got-unrecognized-url.html

If i do the following "svn --v" i am getting the message that the svn modules ra_svn and ra_local are installed.
The ra_dav isnt included probably becouse of the missing webdav support at the compile time.
The ra_dav module however is the most used svn module if somebody want to download a repo over http.

Thanks for any help
Greetings c-coder
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:00:28 PM by c-coder »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 02:47:44 PM »
If enabling swap and mounting storage media would prevent tcl to freeze why doesnt tcl automount and enable the needed partition at the boot process.

not to mention that some people think a livecd should never touch the host machine or its partitions unless asked to. but as tc has 4 official boot methods, i could presumably expect this only of "cloud." even then, it's up to the community, not a standard. if the noswap boot option works, that's good.

Offline c-coder

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
I believe TC does enable any possible swap partitions (and certain dos swap files) automatically at boot, if detected (and hw configured). 

Maybe it sound strange for others but i have a swap partition on the harddisk.
Linux distros like Puppy or Ubuntu recognize and mount this swap partition with no probs.

If i boot in Tiny Core Linux and start from the System Panel the "System Stats" application i cant find under the application Tab "filesystems" any swap Partition mounted.
For me TinyCoreLinux dont mount my swap Partition.

Could someone prove this also so i can be sure that this is not only related to me.

Offline c-coder

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 10:54:41 AM »
not to mention that some people think a livecd should never touch the host machine or its partitions unless asked to.

At least if the Extensions are loaded from the Harddisk (boot option tce=hdax) Tiny Core Linux should boot with a enabled Swap partition.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
For me TC has always used my available swap partitions like it should.

Note that they are not mounted the usual way. If you type "free" in a console, do you see your swap? Another way is "cat /proc/swaps"
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline c-coder

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
For me TC has always used my available swap partitions like it should.

Note that they are not mounted the usual way. If you type "free" in a console, do you see your swap? Another way is "cat /proc/swaps"

Thanks for the Tip.
By typing the command "free" in the console i can see now that realy TC has booted with the enabled swap partition.
Maybe this Information should be showed also under the Tab "Filesystem" in the Stats Application.

The problem looks for me like i dont have sufficient ram and swap memory.

total             used             free                shared        buffers
Mem:       186464       183756         2708            0              92
Swap:       321260       140168       181092
Total:       507724       323924       183800

Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda5                               partition       321260  140260  -1

Thanks for the help.
grettings c-coder
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:40:24 PM by c-coder »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »
Indeed 500 megs might not be enough for the heaviest compiles, such as glibc. I'm surprised svn was so heavy though. For these compiles, it's better to do them on a hard disk so that ram/swap is not used for the actual files.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 01:15:56 AM »
Both glibc and oo required more than 1gb of ram - I compiled these by using space on a usb stick (not good for the longetivity of the stick, I know, but needs must).

BTW the modified svn, which didn't require much ram at all, has been posted for a few days now (works with http://)

Offline c-coder

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »
BTW the modified svn, which didn't require much ram at all, has been posted for a few days now (works with http://)

Juanito thank you very much for the new svn extension.
I have just booted only the tce base.
Downloaded after this the svn and tryed to download some http rep's.
The new Version of the svn extension works great on my pc.
I agree with you that svn does not really use a lot of ram while compiling and building it but if you  boot in to tce with a lot of extension and run opera with several open tabs then compling some software can freeze tcl.

Once again thanks for the svn extension.
Greetings c-coder