Tiny Core Linux

Tiny Core Extensions => TCE Talk => Extension requests => Topic started by: meo on August 16, 2026, 01:06:35 PM

Title: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 16, 2026, 01:06:35 PM
Hi guys!

I don't know if there is an audio ripper but abcde seems to be OK:

Kind Regards,
meo
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Juanito on August 20, 2026, 08:09:12 AM
posted in the piCore64 17.x repo - not tested
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 23, 2026, 09:46:11 AM
Hi Juanito!

Thanks for making this extension! There is a trouble though when I start it comes an error message saying it can't find 'perl' and therefore can't execute musicbrainz. I tried to download perl but it doesn't work.

Kind Regards,
meo
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Juanito on August 23, 2026, 09:56:50 AM
Do you mean this error:
Code: [Select]
abcde-musicbrainz-tool
Can't locate MusicBrainz/DiscID.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MusicBrainz::DiscID module) (@INC entries checked: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.42/site_perl /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.42/vendor_perl /usr/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.42/core_perl /usr/local/lib/perl5/core_perl) at /usr/local/bin/abcde-musicbrainz-tool line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/abcde-musicbrainz-tool line 18.
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Juanito on August 23, 2026, 10:06:27 AM
From this:
Code: [Select]
sudo cpan install MusicBrainz::DiscID
...
Package libdiscid was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libdiscid.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libdiscid' found
Error: libdiscid version 0.2.2 or higher is required.

..I guess more work is needed - I'll take a look.
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 23, 2026, 12:20:03 PM
Hello again!

Took a peak at the problem and found out how they recommend how to install abcde etc.;
"sudo apt-get install abcde cd-discid libmusicbrainz-discid-perl" so it seems there might be more than just one package.

Regards,
meo
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Juanito on August 24, 2026, 06:16:09 AM
It's been a while since I disappeared down a perl module rabbit hole...

libdiscid, perl_musicbrainz_discid, perl_webservice_musicbrainz and perl_mojolicious added, abcde dep file adjusted to load them.

I now get the following:
Code: [Select]
abcde-musicbrainz-tool
Error: cannot open device `/dev/cdrom'

Please test
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 24, 2026, 07:47:01 AM
Hi Juanito!

Thanks for doing this. I quote what is said about the next hurdle below:
"Grabbing entire CD - Tracks queued:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
IO::Socket::SSL 2.009+ required for TLS support at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/WebService/MusicBrainz/Request.pm line 82.
[ERROR] abcde: abcde-musicbrainz-tool failed to run; ABORT

That seems almost understandable!

Kind Greetings from a sunny Sweden,
meo
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Paul_123 on August 24, 2026, 08:26:51 AM
The music brainz website requires TLS for connection to it.  You need to install IO::Socket::SSL.

Perl, like Python's pip, can install modules you need into your .local user library using "cpan".   For IO::Socket::SSL, you will need compiletc.tcz and openssl-dev.tcz  (I think that is it)

"cpan install IO::Socket::SSL"

The first time cpan runs, it will ask a few config options......defaults are normally fine.  When you get to the option that "sudo or user" select user.

I have a few of these perl modules that I maintain for a different application.  I just never had a request to upload them to the repo.
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 24, 2026, 09:32:37 AM
Hi guys!

It seems that this will need a separate extension. The data was just running down the terminal. I tried various things but the closest was (after installing perl, ca-certificates etc.)
"cpan IO::Socket::SSL 2.009" since this is the version needed. At the end of the flood of letters I was told the following:

"SULLR/IO-Socket-SSL-2.099.tar.gz
  /usr/local/bin/make install  -- NOT OK
>(error): Could not expand [2.099]. Check the module name.
>(info): I can suggest names if you install one of Text::Levenshtein::XS, Text::Levenshtein::Damerau::XS, Text::Levenshtein, and Text::Levenshtein::Damerau::PP
>(info): and you provide the -x option on invocation.
>(error): Skipping 2.099 because I couldn't find a matching namespace.

So it isn't an easy task it seems. Thanks for your help!

Kind Greetings,
meo
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Rich on August 24, 2026, 10:07:35 AM
Hi meo
... "cpan IO::Socket::SSL 2.009" since this is the version needed. ...
I don't think that's what it said. I think it said:
... I quote what is said about the next hurdle below:
"Grabbing entire CD - Tracks queued:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
IO::Socket::SSL 2.009+ required for TLS support at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/WebService/MusicBrainz/Request.pm line 82. ...
See the  +  sign after  2.009? I think that means version 2.009 or higher.

Did you type the exact command Paul_123 gave you:
Code: [Select]
cpan install IO::Socket::SSLIf it offers a choice of versions, pick one higher than 2.009.

Rereading your previous post, you may have mistyped the version number:
... "SULLR/IO-Socket-SSL-2.099.tar.gz
  /usr/local/bin/make install  -- NOT OK
>(error): Could not expand [2.099]. Check the module name.
>(info): I can suggest names if you install one of Text::Levenshtein::XS, Text::Levenshtein::Damerau::XS, Text::Levenshtein, and Text::Levenshtein::Damerau::PP
>(info): and you provide the -x option on invocation.
>(error): Skipping 2.099 because I couldn't find a matching namespace. ...
It looks like you ask for  2.099  instead of  2.009.
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Paul_123 on August 24, 2026, 10:18:44 AM
cpan will grab the latest by default, and 2.099 is the latest version.  Which should build fine.

The error occurred when it tried to run /usr/local/bin/make install

Did you have the build dependencies compiletc.tcz and openssl-dev.tcz loaded.   compiletc loads about 25 extensions......are you sure everything installed properly.  I know you have problems downloading files from the repos.

If you want to wait, I'll upload the perl modules this evening (I'm in US, EDT)
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 24, 2026, 11:04:36 AM
Hello Paul_123!

Yes I installed all the extensions mentioned, compiletc, openssl-dev, perl, ca-certificates but it didn't install the SSL 2.099. The error from the "cpan install IO::Socket::SSL" was:
"ERROR: Can't create '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/IO/Socket'
mkdir /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/IO: Permission denied at /usr/local/lib/perl5/core_perl/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 470.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 at -e line 1.
make: *** [Makefile:749: pure_site_install] Error 13
  SULLR/IO-Socket-SSL-2.099.tar.gz
  /usr/local/bin/make install  -- NOT OK"

Kind greetings,
meo

PS My gutfeeling tells me to use sudo permission to install but I don't know. DS
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Paul_123 on August 24, 2026, 11:13:59 AM
It’s because you are trying to install in the system lib folder with no write permission.   Re run the cpan config and make sure you select user for the installation.
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 24, 2026, 11:27:36 AM
Hi all!

I just followed my gutfeeling and it worked at once. I'm ripping the first CD now. Thanks's for all your help!

Grateful Greetings,
meo
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Paul_123 on August 24, 2026, 07:37:13 PM
I uploaded perl_io_socket_ssl.tcz  which has a dependency of perl_net_ssleay.tcz to the 17.x repos
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: Juanito on August 25, 2026, 04:13:43 AM
perl_io_socket_ssl added to perl_webservice_musicbrainz dep file
Title: Re: Sound ripper perhaps abcde!
Post by: meo on August 25, 2026, 06:25:38 AM
Helloy'all!

Thanks a lot for your help with the abcde cd ripper!!! Now it works perfect! I'm currently listening to the 4 seasons of Vivaldi that I just ripped. I put allt the music in an usb drive so I don't have to save it in the backup file. Thanks again!

Kind greetings from a sunny Sweden,
meo