Tiny Core Linux
Tiny Core Base => TCB Q&A Forum => Topic started by: newbie000 on April 05, 2012, 06:05:12 AM
-
Hi all,
I was trying to do PXE boot of tiny core linux image, the size is about 90 MB (Core + GUI packages + configuration). During the PXE boot, the client PC got an IP from DHCP but after that the image cannot be loaded with message:
TFTP
ARP time out...
I've checked with ps aux command that the tftp service is running..
Anyone got idea?
[EDIT]: Corrected typo in subject line. Changed ARM to ARP. Rich
-
Is there a firewall or some other device blocking ARP?
-
Hi Curaga,
There is not, i used to do the PXE boot successfully in the same way, i only changed the standard core.gz file with the one with GUI packages. I increased the timeout seconds (default is 300) on file /pxelinux.cfg/default to higher value but no success.
TC as terminal server is on the same vlan with the one to booted from PXE, attached to the same switch.
terminal server: 192.168.10.114
Range for PXE boot : 192.168.10.200 - 210
Gateway : 192.168.10.1
DNS : 192.168.10.41
During PXE boot, the client got 192.168.10.200 ip and then ARP time out.
Is this related to network issue instead of the modified core.gz file?
Thanks.
-
Did the client start downloading the initrd? It could be that there's some timeout in tftp, and having the initrd too big (=slow transfer) triggers it? Just my guess.
edit: Also, what messages do you see from the server?
-
Hi there,
That's the thing, no message on the server terminal. The initrd hasn't been loaded, the message on client screen is as follow:
TFTP
ARP time out
TFTP couldn't open connection.
And it stops there...
-
Dear all,
I don't know exactly what causes the ARP time out issue. I stop terminal server service, delete all /netboot file, re-run the terminal server again and re-create the configuration file, and replace the core.gz with the customized on - GUI + startup command, now the PXE boot run successfully.
The thing is, i cannot right click (choose menu), the mouse icon is became X instead of pointer format, does it mean i've missed some GUI packages to be included on core.gz file ?
Thanks for the advice.
-
The window manager (flwm_topside), likely.
-
TFTP
ARP time out
TFTP couldn't open connection.
And it stops there...
I had the same problem. I change ip adres in PXE server:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.10.255 up
and it works.
My udhcp.conf looks like that:
# The start and end of the IP lease block
start 192.168.10.100
end 192.168.10.200
# The interface that udhcpd will use
interface eth0
boot_file /pxelinux.0
opt dns 192.168.10.1
option subnet 255.255.255.0
opt router 192.168.10.1
option lease 43200 # 10 days of seconds
option tftp 192.168.10.1
siaddr 192.168.10.1l
and /netboot/pxelinux.cfg/default looks like that:
DEFAULT core
TIMEOUT 300
LABEL core
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND quiet initrd=core.gz
-
Are the VLAN's configured in the switch, or is the VLAN set up in the server interface?
-
I use tftp server that is build into tinycorelinux to reflash my Archer C7 v5 router.
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.66 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.10.255 up
# The start and end of the IP lease block
start 192.168.0.10
end 192.168.0.200
# The interface that udhcpd will use
interface eth0
boot_file /tmp/ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin
opt dns
option subnet 255.255.255.0
opt router 192.168.0.66
option lease 43200 # 10 days of seconds
option tftp 192.168.0.66
siaddr 192.168.0.66
sudo /usr/bin/udpsvd -E 0 69 tftpd /root
sudo udhcpd /root/udhcpd.con
I put ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin in /root and /tmp
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06-SNAPSHOT/packages/mips_24kc/packages/atftpd_0.7.1-5_mips_24kc.ipk
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW. When I close tc-terminal-server, udhcpd /netboot/udhcpd.conf still working in background. It shouldn't.
-
I asked about where the VLANs are configured because IP as layer 3 isn't VLAN aware. VLANs operate at layer 2, so all the devices you want to be on the same VLAN have to be there before any IP addresses are assigned because DHCP doesn't assign VLANs. Did all this work before you tried to implement VLANs, or have you tried it without VLANs?
-
I asked about where the VLANs are configured because IP as layer 3 isn't VLAN aware. VLANs operate at layer 2, so all the devices you want to be on the same VLAN have to be there before any IP addresses are assigned because DHCP doesn't assign VLANs. Did all this work before you tried to implement VLANs, or have you tried it without VLANs?
In my case, I don't use virtual local area network (VLAN). It was only two devices and one UTP cable.