WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (fixed) flwm config  (Read 6540 times)

Offline chopper

(fixed) flwm config
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
H all,

I accidently removed flwm from onBoot (probably thats what  happened... ). Not sure how to get it back because I have it in onBoot but it doesnt start when I boot the computer ?

I can start flwm from console and it works fine.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:05:59 AM by chopper »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: flwm config
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
If you are running stock TC, you don't need flwm in onboot, it is part of tinycore..
If you are running MC, you need to add your preferred window manager to onboot.lst either manually or with AppsAudit.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
Not sure if you refer to flwm_topside as shipped in base or flwm.tcz   ???
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline chopper

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »
Hi and thanks for the replies. Im not sure whats happened now that Ive read them!

What happens is that when I boot the computer, its a black screen (no background loaded, no panel loaded and the default cross mouse cursor).

So I go to console land with ctrl+alt+f1 and have to type "startx" , when it starts I can then run "flwm" (I did have flwm_topside before this problem).

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »
Are you running tinycore or microcore?

Have you changed anything in the bootloader config file?

Try editing onboot.lst manually, and put it at the top of the list.

You will find it at /mnt/sda1/tce. If not sda1, use the correct partition.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:26:11 PM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline chopper

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 05:53:12 AM »
Hello Guy, sorry I forgot to say Im running plain TC.

Ive not changed the bootloader config file. All I have done as far as I remember is install cheese+a library, for the webcam.

Ive tried putting flwm and flwm_topside at the top of the list but it just boots to the black screen and mouse pointer with or without them.

I wonder why the panel doesnt show until I manually run startx... Ive moved the panel to side of screen and it puts it in the right place, but doesnt load the background image I had set, or start either of flwm / flwm_topside.

Thanks.

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:25:28 AM »
If you are running Tinycore, you don't need flwm in OnBoot. So that is not the problem, and you can remove flwm from onboot.lst.

Boot with the options "base norestore" in the bootloader and see if it works.

If it works with "base norestore", maybe one of the extensions is causing the problem. See if you can figure out which one it is, and report it here so it can be fixed. You can experiment by removing extensions from /tce/optional, until you figure out which one it is.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:55:00 AM by Guy »

Offline chopper

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:14:06 AM »
I put base restore, but no joy, it was the same situation fter booting.

Whilst fiddling around though I saw a ".dreamchess" directory in my /tc dir. and I remember downloading dreamchess (and removing it again) when I was getting the webcam to work.

dreamchess needs Xorg but I use xvesa. Could trying to run that program have messed up some settings file(s) ?

All the other extensons in onboot and ondemand have been there for a long time and ive not got many.

Offline Guy

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:29 AM »
If you boot with "base norestore" in the bootloader, Tinycore should start without any apps.

Is that what happened?

Do you understand how to put "base norestore" in the bootloader?

Offline alu

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 07:51:38 AM »
i would begin to the beginning again:

1. clear the content of onboot.lst;
2. backup your mydata.gz (if any) elsewhere (on another device/usb stick), and delete it from your previous location;
3. start tc anew and at the boot prompt, type 'tinycore base norestore' (without quotes).

you should basically have tc working with flwm. then, build your system up again.

EDIT: personal opinion -- users should try to use tc without backup, and to run simple scripts instead in order to avoid possible issues related to the backup
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:54:57 AM by alu »

Offline chopper

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the help.

If I had a completely fresh untouched TC, and I wanted to change flwm_topside to flwm which file would I have to edit? I think I need to do something like that.

ps: Guy, yes it boots to a 'default' tinycore with base norstore. Ive always had norestore in the boot options line in menu.lst if thats any help.

Offline Guy

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
One way is to install flwm and add the desktop=flwm bootcode to the bootloader config file.

Another option is to install Microcore with flwm.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_microcore

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 12:16:06 PM »
If you were loading xorg, and booting with 'norestore', you were never loading your working .xsession.

Offline chopper

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 07:04:28 AM »
yeehaa fixed it  :)

Im not sure about it not loading .xsession with norestore because I have got norestore and it does load .xsession... anyway many thanks gerald_clark because your post made me check .xsession and half of it was missing!... thats all that was wrong.

I think what must have happened is that, sometime recently I remember building a program Ive been working on and half way through the build , the computers battery ran out, it messed all the svn files up, although I didnt notice anything else messed up it must have done something and not written all of .xsession to disk or something...