WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: newbie qn: TCE vs TCZ  (Read 3085 times)

Offline jf

newbie qn: TCE vs TCZ
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
The core concepts page (http://tinycorelinux.com/concepts.html) is a bit too terse and too quick with the acronyms, so i thought i'd try to clarify some things here.

Without trying tcl first (i'd like to! but let me just clarify some things first), can I say that the PPR is a partition? or can it be a directory?

- the reason why TCZ saves memory is cos it's only mounted from, and read from disk - nothing gets loaded into ram?

- can a TCZ be mounted over stuff in the base system? or can it only mount over an unused directory?

- how is a TCE loaded? does it overwrite (I'm thinking it does - i saw a thread just now saying there's no unionfs) rather than "overlay"?

- I suppose load order of TCEs matter? (since the last TCE to get loaded will determine which version a file i'll see)

thanks!

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: newbie qn: TCE vs TCZ
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
Yes, PPR is a directory in an existion partition. One might want to create a dedicated partition for it too, for example to get proper linux permissions or to get readability in the base (ntfs support is in extensions)

- tcz saves ram because it's mounted, yes
- files in tcz are symlinked to the base, by default not overwriting existing files. Extensions very rarely have need to overwrite files in base, but there is a way to do so with tcz too.
- tce is extracted to root, it overwrites anything
- why would one load several versions of the same package? As usual, we try to have the latest also the best
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jf

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
thanks, curaga! appreciate it.

as for "- why would one load several versions of the same package? As usual, we try to have the latest also the best", well i'm not saying several versions of the same package. Just asking for the situation where some packages might have common files for one reason or another... Offhand, i cant think of any - but i'm sure there are real life situations like this already. For eg. (and this qn leads into package management) what happens when you have 2 different daemon packages - and both of them want to write an entry to /etc/crontab? Is there such a thing as a package install script (pre-install, post-install, whatever)?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »
We do have an equivalent to a post-install script. Doing things like adding a crontab entry there should avoid any conflicts.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.