WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to make available a tce dir stored on a unsupported filesystem  (Read 2320 times)

Offline FxIII

I want to boot TC from a xfs partition where lives an ubuntu and let the TC to use a persistent directory on said filesystem. How one can use that persistent storage if is not supported by tc when it starts? I want to underline that the boot loader knows how to read from xfs.
Ty!

Offline tinypoodle

Re: how to make available a tce dir stored on a unsupported filesystem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:25:59 AM »
Remastering adding xfs support could be an approach.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »
If your bootloader can load multiple initrd's, you don't even have to remaster the main initrd (see the dynamic remastering wiki page).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »
take this opportunity to ask a question
A friend asked me if he can "install" TC on an ntfs partition, I think something similar to that of FxIII with xfs.
I did not understand what the need to do this, but I have not been able to respond.
what do you say?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »
@NTFS

A limited frugal install (no home= opt= etc, only a tce dir and backup) will work using svolli's remaster (it includes ntfs-3g in the base for ntfs rw, and grub4dos that can boot from ntfs).

A more complete install with persistency would only work with a loop file (similar to Ubuntu wubi) & svolli's remaster. I don't know of anyone who's tried this though, the loop file option is usually used with virtual machines.

In short, no with vanilla TC. XFS is different, since it's a real linux fs supporting permissions.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
Thanks curaga, the situation is better than I thought  :)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
Hi vinnie
Since it's so simple to set up an empty partition there's really no good reason to force Linux to run
on an NTFS. Someone just gave me a killer laptop with XP on it and here's what I did. Defragged the
drive a couple of times (Windows needs 2 or 3 tries to get it right). Booted the TC CD. Downloaded
gparted, dosfstools-3, e2fsprogs_apps, and mtools. Used gparted to create and format a new EXT3
partition. Then I went to step 5 of the hard disk installation instructions and proceeded from there.
If he just wants a /tce directory on the drive he could format it FAT if he wants.

Offline FxIII

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:05:07 AM »
Is the fact that my bootloader has the ability to read a xfs partition be used to do the little bootstrap required to mount the partition at boot time?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:39:38 AM »
The only relevance of a bootloader having the ability to read a particular fs would be related to loading kernel and initrd from such fs.

Out of curiosity, which bootloader is that?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline FxIII

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 05:35:24 AM »
@tinypoodle
the one in the latest version of ubuntu
i belive is some version of  grub2

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »
Ah, ok. I was just thinking that LiLo would probably simply not care about the filesystem to load the kernel from.